Reinstall not going well - can the re-adding of drives be forced? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to force the WHS to start the process of adding the drives, with out loosing data?

Boot drive failed on large WHS

5 HD on Motherboard

4 on a Promis SATA

4 on a Rosewill SATA

3 USB

Dual GE in a Team with VLANs

Steps taken;

1) Install new bootdrive, start the install. There is no 'reinstall server', just 'new server'

2) I pull off all drives except new bootdrive. Did a full install as a new server

3) shutdown, re-attach all drives, start install, load drivers for Rosewill and Promise SATA cards (all Drives are listed), pick reinstall, and let the machine build

After the build, motherboard drives are showing up as not installed to WHS, and the two SATA controllers are unknow hardware.

1) Load drivers for Rosewill

2) load drivers for Promise

3) load drivers for Intel 2xGE

4) Configure VLAN and TEAM

all drives show as 'not added'

Is there a way to force the WHS to start the process of adding the drives, with out loosing data?

/krc
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• No. WHS has no way to do it outside the "server reinstallation" process. You're going to have to do a manual copy of your data
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Well..... 14TB of a manual copy with 16 drives.... Going to try a few other things FIRST!!!

From what I read the new WHS version will not have this option as the data is not readable by windows..... not a good sales pitch.

I downloaded the WHS SP3 trail disk. I am going to remove the D partition from the new boot disk, then start the install again. I am thinking that it did not try to rebuild the tombstones as the D drive appeared OK????

worth a couple more kicks at the can before I spend a month moving data around.

/krc
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:38 PM
  • Well..... 14TB of a manual copy with 16 drives.... Going to try a few other things FIRST!!!

From what I read the new WHS version will not have this option as the data is not readable by windows..... not a good sales pitch. 

You are correct, Vail drives are not readable by other OSes (at least not at this time; MS may make a read-only driver for Vail hard drives at some point).  However, Vail would be much better in your scenario because you can add an entire "foreign storage pool" (a storage pool created by a different Vail install) to Vail without the need for copying files to your new OS install. 

I downloaded the WHS SP3 trail disk. I am going to remove the D partition from the new boot disk, then start the install again. I am thinking that it did not try to rebuild the tombstones as the D drive appeared OK????

worth a couple more kicks at the can before I spend a month moving data around.

/krc

Saturday, June 26, 2010 5:37 PM
  • Good news on Vail, assuming it works, but will not help with which files goes where, and which are duplicates due to file protection, and still not sure how USER-A/Documents  is going to look on the drive different from USER-B/Documents....

To say I am disappointed in the recovery on WHS is an understatement. How hard would it be to have a utility to call to start the tombstone recreation? Dumb easy if you ask me. Pull all drives except boot, build server, attach drives, run utility..... seems much easier that relying on this process.

To Microsoft's credit, I have lost nothing, and will reconstruct the storage, but there is NO SERVER REINSTALL that works for a large system.

I rebuilt this 5 times. If the boot drive does not have WHS installed, it only offers 'New Install', if there is a WHS installed, it offers the 'reinstall' but even though all the drivers for the SATA cards are loaded, and all drives are recognized, it does not use these drives. Two builds, and both did not move the drivers loaded during the first part of the install into the WHS boot disk. The Server had 4 other SATA drives that were seen from WHS, but still did not try to add them.

I like the product (when working) so well, that I just ordered a HP MediaSmart EX490 from NewEgg with a 2TB drive added and will split the Data Store over two servers. 14TB must be out of 'HOME' server capabilities. The Home Built server is still going to Kick A.. with dual GE and a 10K RPM boot disk.

Thank you for the help....

/krc
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Good news on Vail, assuming it works, but will not help with which files goes where, and which are duplicates due to file protection, and still not sure how USER-A/Documents  is going to look on the drive different from USER-B/Documents....

To say I am disappointed in the recovery on WHS is an understatement. How hard would it be to have a utility to call to start the tombstone recreation? Dumb easy if you ask me. Pull all drives except boot, build server, attach drives, run utility..... seems much easier that relying on this process.

To Microsoft's credit, I have lost nothing, and will reconstruct the storage, but there is NO SERVER REINSTALL that works for a large system.

I rebuilt this 5 times. If the boot drive does not have WHS installed, it only offers 'New Install', if there is a WHS installed, it offers the 'reinstall' but even though all the drivers for the SATA cards are loaded, and all drives are recognized, it does not use these drives. Two builds, and both did not move the drivers loaded during the first part of the install into the WHS boot disk. The Server had 4 other SATA drives that were seen from WHS, but still did not try to add them.

I like the product (when working) so well, that I just ordered a HP MediaSmart EX490 from NewEgg with a 2TB drive added and will split the Data Store over two servers. 14TB must be out of 'HOME' server capabilities. The Home Built server is still going to Kick A.. with dual GE and a 10K RPM boot disk.

Thank you for the help....

/krc
    In order for Server Reinstallation to appear, A) WHS must see all of the drives (which you obviously already knew) and B) the drive (any drive, including blank drives) that will become the primary drive needs to be the first drive seen by WHS.  However, there is apparently a catch to that:  the mobo itself.  In some cases, setting the BIOS to "boot from" a SATA drive first is good enough.  In other cases, that doesn't work.  Some mobos apparently present PATA drives before SATA drives no matter what the BIOS says.  So if you have a mix of SATA and PATA drives with one of those mobos, your primary drive must be a PATA drive.  If you have any secondary drives that are PATA drives and you're using a mobo that does that, WHS will never see your SATA drive as the "first drive" and you will never get the Server Reinstallation option.  Are any of your drives PATA by any chance?  If not, did you configure your BIOS to look at the correct SATA port on the mobo as the "first boot device"?
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:22 AM
  •  Are any of your drives PATA by any chance?  If not, did you configure your BIOS to look at the correct SATA port on the mobo as the "first boot device"?

Good question, no.

I have the PATA controller disabled in the BIOS, and no PATA drives attached, and the first SATA is the boot.

To be clear, the option to reinstall appears, if WHS is installed on the boot drive, but not if it is corrupt or a virgin drive.

1) Install new SATA drive

- Install WHS, no option for Reinstall

2) Remove all data drives

- install WHS with no option for reinstall, but continue with new install until complete

- power down server

- reattach data drives

- relaunch install, and the option to reinstall is present, but continuing with the install never recreates tombstones

3) delete the 'D:' drive partition, attach all data drives

- Launch WHS install, no option for reinstall, just new install

4) remove all data drives

- launch WHS install, no option to reinstall, continue with new install until complete

- power down server

- reattach data drives

-relaunch WHS, and there is an option to Reinstall, select it, completes, no tombstones are recreated

At step 4, WHS sees 4 SATA drives plus C & D, they are not attached, even though the drivers for the two SATA Cards were put in during the reinstall, and the install program listed 16 drives, the drivers are not present, and the hardware is unknown in HARDWARE tab of My Computer. Reloading the drivers clears the unknown and all drives show up as ' Non Storage Hard Drives'.

I could understand the missing of the 8 drives on the two SATA cards, as it seems to loose the drivers, but the 4 on the Motherboard, and the USB ones are seen when the install completes, just never runs the Tombstone recreation.

I still can not believe it would be so hard to have that process be able to be launched manually. 16 drives are sitting as non storage drives, and I can not figure another way to do the install, except enable the PATA Controller buy a PATA HD and install it there? But as I do not want PATA drives, this is not a path I want to invest in. 

thanks for the input. 

/krc
    Monday, June 28, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Good question, no.

I have the PATA controller disabled in the BIOS, and no PATA drives attached, and the first SATA is the boot.

To be clear, the option to reinstall appears, if WHS is installed on the boot drive, but not if it is corrupt or a virgin drive.

1) Install new SATA drive

- Install WHS, no option for Reinstall

2) Remove all data drives

- install WHS with no option for reinstall, but continue with new install until complete

- power down server

- reattach data drives

- relaunch install, and the option to reinstall is present, but continuing with the install never recreates tombstones

3) delete the 'D:' drive partition, attach all data drives

- Launch WHS install, no option for reinstall, just new install

4) remove all data drives

- launch WHS install, no option to reinstall, continue with new install until complete

- power down server

- reattach data drives

-relaunch WHS, and there is an option to Reinstall, select it, completes, no tombstones are recreated

At step 4, WHS sees 4 SATA drives plus C & D, they are not attached, even though the drivers for the two SATA Cards were put in during the reinstall, and the install program listed 16 drives, the drivers are not present, and the hardware is unknown in HARDWARE tab of My Computer. Reloading the drivers clears the unknown and all drives show up as ' Non Storage Hard Drives'.

I could understand the missing of the 8 drives on the two SATA cards, as it seems to loose the drivers, but the 4 on the Motherboard, and the USB ones are seen when the install completes, just never runs the Tombstone recreation.

I still can not believe it would be so hard to have that process be able to be launched manually. 16 drives are sitting as non storage drives, and I can not figure another way to do the install, except enable the PATA Controller buy a PATA HD and install it there? But as I do not want PATA drives, this is not a path I want to invest in. 

thanks for the input. 

/krc
    It's a long shot, but have you tried enabling the PATA controller?
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:59 AM