none
what is shell scripting RRS feed

• Question

• dear friends can u tell me what we exactly do in unix shell scripting and if u can suggest me a better version of unix also
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:30 PM

Answers

• Well, unix has shell that works as a bridge between the OS and the Kernels. Now programming in UNIX is know as Unix shell scripting.

Linux is based on Unix thus to find better version of UNIX go for newer version of Linux and u will get better UNIX. Fedora Core provides a good one.. so does RHEL.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:55 PM
  • dear friends if someone knows bout shell scripting then do plz tell me.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 3:42 PM
  • writing and executing shell commands is known as shell scripting... it is used in unix
    Friday, March 9, 2007 10:42 AM
  • In Unix shell scripting is the script written for the command line interpretter of the OS.It is often considered a simple domain-specific programming language. They are the windows equivalent of Batch Files..

Advantages: Often, writing a shell script is much quicker than writing the equivalent code in other programming or scripting languages. As with other interpreted languages, shell scripts have no compilation step, so the script can be executed quickly while debugging..

Friday, March 9, 2007 10:59 AM
  • dear friend thanks really a nice post and explanatory post, plz tell me the resources to learn shell scripting and a nice and easy book to start with.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 2:42 PM
  • dear narasiman it has already been answered above i wanted to know a good book for shell scripting but do give advise only for tried and tested books.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:46 PM
  • @mr.dexter

shell scripting is a way of representing the  sell interface

as u know sell is a mediator between  commond prompt to kernel

so how sell is interpreted the commond

this is the sell sripting 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:25 PM
  • dear friend thanks for trying to explain but the above post seems a little more explanatory, well do suggest a good book also if u can.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Teach yourself UNIX shell programming & Advanced Unix programming.

Monday, March 12, 2007 6:33 PM

All replies

• Well, unix has shell that works as a bridge between the OS and the Kernels. Now programming in UNIX is know as Unix shell scripting.

Linux is based on Unix thus to find better version of UNIX go for newer version of Linux and u will get better UNIX. Fedora Core provides a good one.. so does RHEL.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:55 PM
  • dear friends if someone knows bout shell scripting then do plz tell me.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 3:42 PM
  • writing and executing shell commands is known as shell scripting... it is used in unix
    Friday, March 9, 2007 10:42 AM
  • In Unix shell scripting is the script written for the command line interpretter of the OS.It is often considered a simple domain-specific programming language. They are the windows equivalent of Batch Files..

Advantages: Often, writing a shell script is much quicker than writing the equivalent code in other programming or scripting languages. As with other interpreted languages, shell scripts have no compilation step, so the script can be executed quickly while debugging..

Friday, March 9, 2007 10:59 AM
  • dear friend thanks really a nice post and explanatory post, plz tell me the resources to learn shell scripting and a nice and easy book to start with.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 2:42 PM
  • A shell script is a script written for the shell, or command line interpreter, of an operating system. It is often considered a simple domain-specific programming language. Typical operations performed by shell scripts include file manipulation, program execution, and printing text. Usually, shell script refers to scripts written for a Unix shell, while DOS and Windows command line scripts are called batch files, but here we discuss properties of both.

Many shell script interpreters double as command line interface, such as the various Unix shells, Windows PowerShell or the MS-DOS COMMAND.COM. Others, such as AppleScript, add scripting capability to computing environments lacking a command line interface. Other examples of programming languages primarily intended for shell scripting include DCL and JCL.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 8:42 AM
  • dear narasiman it has already been answered above i wanted to know a good book for shell scripting but do give advise only for tried and tested books.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 3:46 PM
  • @mr.dexter

shell scripting is a way of representing the  sell interface

as u know sell is a mediator between  commond prompt to kernel

so how sell is interpreted the commond

this is the sell sripting 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:25 PM
  • dear friend thanks for trying to explain but the above post seems a little more explanatory, well do suggest a good book also if u can.
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Refer to UNIX Shell programming by sumitabha das.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Teach yourself UNIX shell programming & Advanced Unix programming.

Monday, March 12, 2007 6:33 PM