Windows update error 0x800706D3 RRS feed

• Question

• When I go into Windows update it comes up with the express area and then trys to go in.  But when it does go in it said to me "the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem." The error code for this was 0x800706D3.  Does anyone know how to make the computer load the updates.  Please help me out.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 2:05 PM

All replies

• I too am having the same issue with my laptop. It is in dire need of updates!!

Saturday, October 25, 2008 3:41 AM
  • My problem is similar to yours Ranjan, only the error message tells me I must restart the computer before I can enter Express Updates. When I restart the computer I can no longer access the internet. The only way I can access the internet is to unplug the cable so no Automatic Updates load, then do a System Restore to the day before this started happening. Turn off Automatic Updates (this has to be done after the Systen Restore because they were on when this all started.) Now I can access the internet. But if I turn on Automatic updates and download and install the updates I have to restart the computer. When I do I can no longer access the internet again until I go through the System Restore routine again.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:47 PM
  • I have installed Windows XP Professional version in my D: drive and have since been using Windows XP only. I think my Windows 2000 is totally corrupted so that I think was the cause. Since I have been using Windows XP, I am having no problem as such.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I have opened this case with Microsoft Support, this solution worked for me.

This computer was a relatives and was infected with the following virus, in which I removed and scrubbed prior to reporting this issue. I also think the virus removed the Microsoft Client as well,

File Name: __c003AE46.dat  Virus Name: Trojan.Vundo
     File Name: ddeml32.dll          Virus NameBig Smileownloader
     File Name: dbmsadsn32.dll    Virus NameBig Smileownloader
     Action Taken: Left alone (all 3)

Just to note the "TCP/IP protocol" and the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks were not affected and the computer was otherwise functional after the scrub.

I think it might be a good idea to post this solution on the microsft site associated with with the error code 0x800706D3. As there are hits for this on
    the net with no solution.

Please close Case ID ----- with the highest customer satisfaction rating.

Best of luck with your carreer and thank you again for the excellent work, Sincerely, Phil Diakun
    =============================================================================
    From the problem description, I understand that the computer failed to do updates with the error code 0x800706D3. Please feel free to let me know if I misunderstood.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to resolve the issue.
    This error may occur if Client for Microsoft Networks component has not been installed or applied on the system. At this time, let's make sure Client for Microsoft Networks component has been installed on the system. Here are the detailed steps:

1. Click "Start"->"Settings"->Click "Network and Dial-up Connections". A new window titled "Network and Dial-up Connections" opens. In this window, open the "Local Area Connection" item.

2. Click the "Properties" button one more time to reach the full "General" tab.

If Client for Microsoft Networks is unchecked, please put a check on it and click OK. After that, restart the computer to check this issue.

If Client for Microsoft Networks is not installed (listed), please continue with the following steps.

3. Click the "Install..." button to begin the process of installing this component.

4. Select "Client" as the type of component from the list in the new window that appears. Click the "Add..." button to continue.

5. Click "Have Disk".

6. Type "C:\WINNT\inf", and then click "OK".

7. Choose "Client for Microsoft Networks" from the list of "Network Clients" on the right side of the window. Click the "OK" button to continue.

8. Complete the installation by clicking the "OK" button to close the window, then proceed to reboot the computer. After the computer has restarted, Client for Microsoft Networks will be installed.

NOTE: You will probably also need to install the "TCP/IP protocol" and the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" service to fully network a Windows computer on a typical LAN.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:23 PM