Validation of Windows XP Twelve Months Later RRS feed

• Question

• Approx 12 months ago I purchased a Toshiba Satellite Notepad , when I purchased it I was told that it had Windows XP Pro and it was a genuine product but unfortunatly the gentleman I bought it from had lost the disk . I proceeded to buy it and when I returned home I went on line and installed the Microsoft Genuine Advantage tool to verify that my installed copy of Windows XP Pro was indeed a Microsoft Product when I had finished all was good and I proceeded to conduct my work using my newly bought laptop ., I have made no changes to it reguarding my operating system and have only used Genuine Microsoft Products , but now TWELVE (12) months have gone by and when I turned on my laptop to conduct my work I get this message saying that my operating system is not a Microsoft Genuine Product key that it is a VLK . I contacted the validation office and spoke to some lady by the name of Annie in the Philippines and was told that the laptop I am on was supposed to have Windows XP Home installed on it not Windows XP Pro and that for $200.00 bucks I can get a validation key from them to make the version on my laptop Genuine or I can contact Toshiba and request a copy of a recovery disk. My issue is that twelve (12) months ago someone in the office of Microsoft validated my version of Windows XP Pro which was on my laptop when I purchased it and now a year later they are saying that it is not valid . Does this not make it Microsofts mistake ? Should they not have known that it was not a Genuine Microsoft Product twelve months ago ? The reason I installed the Genuine Advantage Tool was to varify that it was so I would not have any problems . I have installed other software and was informed that they must first varify that I am using a Genuine Microsoft Product and inturn was informed that I was thus allowing me to install the software . I dont feel that I should have to pay anything at all pertaining to this situation . If indeed Microsoft has relized that a mistake has been made by their own doing and not by any means by me then I feel it is up to them to rectify the problem and issue me a new product key so I can continue with my work without having to worry that in future I wont encounter any more problems. Please keep in mind that since I have purchased my computer I have taken all necessary steps to insure that I only use Microsoft Genuine Products and I have never and will never buy a pirated copy of any Microsoft Products.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 5:09 PM

Answers

• Hello ZPeppi,

Thank you for posting in the WGA Forums. Unfortunately it does appear you have a VLK version of Windows installed on your system. As a rule, VL editions of Windows XP Professional should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. What appears in your current situation is the Product Key used to validate your computer may have been part of a corporation. The key could have been good for X amount of time until either the company closed or the product key had been compromised. Should this have happened the company could have contacted Microsoft and requested them to block the Volume Licensing Key which they had previously purchased. Please keep in mind this is speculation but has happened before. Hopefully this has provide you with additional information.  

Curious where did you purchase the laptop from? Do you have any information on the person whom you made the purchase?  As a recommendation please file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy

Thank you and take care.

Stephen  

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:04 PM

All replies

• What likely happened is Microsoft found out that the Volume License Key (VLK) was illegally transferred.  A Volume License is generally made available only to business enterprises and that license cannot be transferred to an individual.

To correct your non-genuine situation, either contact Toshiba support and request a replacement of the original Windows XP recovery disc, or purchase the WGA Kit from Microsoft.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Hello ZPeppi,

Thank you for posting in the WGA Forums. Unfortunately it does appear you have a VLK version of Windows installed on your system. As a rule, VL editions of Windows XP Professional should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. What appears in your current situation is the Product Key used to validate your computer may have been part of a corporation. The key could have been good for X amount of time until either the company closed or the product key had been compromised. Should this have happened the company could have contacted Microsoft and requested them to block the Volume Licensing Key which they had previously purchased. Please keep in mind this is speculation but has happened before. Hopefully this has provide you with additional information.  

Curious where did you purchase the laptop from? Do you have any information on the person whom you made the purchase?  As a recommendation please file a piracy report by visiting http://www.microsoft.com/piracy

Thank you and take care.

Stephen  

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 6:04 PM