BACK UP MY COMPUTER RRS feed

• Question

• HOW DO I BACK UP MY COMPUTER IF I DON'T HAVE  A CD BURNER?

WHAT CAUSE ME TO NEED A BACK UP?

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:05 AM

Answers

• If you do not have a CD burner or other backup location, you can turn off backup for your PC in OneCare and your status will return to green. However, you may want to look at purchasing an external hard drive to connect to the PC via a USB cable. They can be purchased for under $50 these days and OneCare can backup your important files so that you won't lose them in the event of a hard drive failure.

To turn off backup -

Turn off the backup feature in Windows Live OneCare

If you don't have a suitable backup device, you may want to turn off the backup feature in Windows Live OneCare. For more information about suitable backup devices, see Supported backup devices. However, if you don't use any backup program, you may reduce your ability to recover from a virus attack or hardware failure because you may not be able to restore your important files.

If you have a computer on your network that's running Windows Home Server, we recommend that you turn off the backup feature in OneCare and use the backup feature in Home Server instead.

To turn off the backup feature in OneCare
    1. Open OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Backup tab, click Configure backup.
    4. If you haven't configured your backup settings yet, click Next.

–or–

If you have configured your backup settings, click Change settings, and then click the computer that you want to turn off the backup function for.

5. Select the Turn off backup on this PC check box, and then click Next.
    6. Click Save.

-steve

Friday, January 25, 2008 2:40 AM