none
New lost login cookie behavior RRS feed

• Question

• Dealing with the login cookie expiration is a daily exercise.  "Unexpected error" with this version.  This morning was pretty nasty though.  The post I submitted spun its progress flower for ever.  After a couple of minutes, I switched to another tab and clicked "My Forum Threads".  Error 500.  Click the back button and noticed that I was logged out.  Logged back in.  The post wasn't going anywhere though, I had to close the tab.

I lost the post.
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• It happened again this morning, exact same behavior.  Lost the post again.  I prefer "Unexpected error".
    Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 11:44 AM
  • This morning, it was "Unexpected error".  I didn't lose the post, yay.  But another mishap came with that, I got a script time-out error from a tab that was displaying My Forums Threads.
    Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:43 AM
  • Thursday: Unexpected Error.  Friday: lost the post.  Statistics for this week: 100% failure rate, 60% irrecoverable loss of time and effort.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 12:07 PM
  • There's been some relieve from this horrid problem after the April patch, it now at least checks if the cookie is valid before it allows posting.  Although that doesn't work correctly either, you have to do it twice.

But there hasn't been any fix for the problem you get when the cookie expires while typing the post.   The spinner spins for ever, only a page refresh stops it.  Which happens a couple of times a week, depending on how long it takes to make the morning coffee.  I've been so desperate to recover the lost post that I now keep FireBug active on the forums URL so I can enter the DOM and copy the text from it.  Ugh.

Please put a timeout on the post attempt response.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:55 PM
  • You might want to check out Lazarus : Form Recovery .
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 11:56 AM
  • Thanks.  Added.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:11 PM