How to Create Genuine WHServer Offsite Backup (presumably on portable hard drive(s))? RRS feed

• Question

• A fundamental purpose of WHS is to backup.
    Backup consists of an on-site copy and an off-site copy.
    WHS does not not provide the off-site copy.
    Yes, you can copy some files, but not a genuine WHS backup.
    There is a similar query in 2007, but no real answer.
    Is Microsoft even considering this?
    The issue is fundamental to backup, and relates to the time required to restore one or more computers after disaster.
    It takes a long time to reload the OS and each software.
    And you then cannot get the "customization" of the software that was there before disaster.
    "Ghost" was suggested for each computer in additon to WHS, but I understand there is a conflict with WHS.
    I have four computers and appreciate the convenience of WHS, but want the off-site copy too.

Thanks for any reply.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• You can back up your shares using functionality added in Power Pack 1. For more information, consult the help in the Windows Home Server console. Probably easiest is to search for the phrase "home server backup".

There is no supported (by Microsoft) way to back up the backup database. However, you can do so manually, following the instructions for doing so  in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief. Or you can install the Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) add-in, which wraps that in a Windows Home Server add-in.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• You can back up your shares using functionality added in Power Pack 1. For more information, consult the help in the Windows Home Server console. Probably easiest is to search for the phrase "home server backup".

There is no supported (by Microsoft) way to back up the backup database. However, you can do so manually, following the instructions for doing so  in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief. Or you can install the Backup DataBase Backup (BDBB) add-in, which wraps that in a Windows Home Server add-in.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:03 PM
  • The current backup options are already described by Ken. Backup is all about redundancy, and with current WHS backup you effectively have two-fold redundancy for each client, the client itself and the backup database and also for the data in the duplicated shares. You can add one level by regularly storing an of-site copy of the backup database and the data in the shares.

This strategy will in most cases be sufficient for easy restore of the client or WHS system in case of "minor" disaster such as failing harddrive on client or WHS.

Anything requiring replacement of essential components such as the motherboard or hard disk controller or a complete client systems is likely to be more of a challenge unless you can get truly identical replacement parts / systems. If you can't get identical parts you can still do bare metal restore of a client to different hardware, however only if you're very skilled. In general reinstalling OS and software and then restore data is faster and more likely to result in stable system when restoring to other then the original hardware.

The same is true if you have to replace your WHS. Even if you get an "identical" machine from the original vendor it's likely that one or more essential parts will be different, so restoring an image (which is not straightforward for WHS) will likely result in a disfunctional or unstable system. Server reinstall (if you original data disks are still OK) or clean install followed by moving back data from the off-site backup is the best way to restore.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:07 PM