none
Can't connect from Win 8.1 to Win Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to connect from Win 8.1 to Win Home Server 2011 using Connector Software, I get the message "can't connect the computer to the server either because there is a another installation in progress, or a restart is pending."  This is a new computer that is trying to connect to the server for the first time.

Another computer running a Win 8.1 upgrade is able to connect with no problem. I have re-booted and tried the install of the connector many times to no avail.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:15 PM

Answers

• The Problem:

“Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect again.”

If you are trying to install the client connector for Windows Home Server 2011 and you get this error, you have restarted and insured there really isn’t any installation in progress, try the following:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager”
    3. Rename the “PendingFileRenameOperations” value to “PendingFileRenameOperations2″

Then restart the installation.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:28 PM

All replies

• Search "Pending restart" on this Forum and make the changes to the Registry and see if that fixes your problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 11:16 PM
  • The Problem:

“Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect again.”

If you are trying to install the client connector for Windows Home Server 2011 and you get this error, you have restarted and insured there really isn’t any installation in progress, try the following:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager”
    3. Rename the “PendingFileRenameOperations” value to “PendingFileRenameOperations2″

Then restart the installation.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:28 PM