OCS 2007 R2 AD Schema Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I uninstalled OCS 2007 RTM as we only had installed it as a test instance.  I then proceeded to install OCS 2007 R2 and accidently went past the stage about Schema Prep and left the R2 in the System Container.  From various documentation I've read it all points to the fact that Migration needs to happen before OCS 2007 R2 is deployed.  Is there a tool available, or going to be made available that will allow schema to be moved to Config container for decentralized topology?  Would it be possible to do a migration later at some point after OCS 2007 R2 has been deployed?

Thanks in advance,

David
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:37 PM

Answers

• David,

The changes to the Schema are permanent and this applies to all products (e.g. Exchange Server) which extend the AD Schema.  An Active Directory restore process does NOT offer the ability to 'roll-back' those changes, so any Schema extension process should always be treated as permanent and planned very carefully.

Due to this statement I doubt  there could be a tool developed to do what you ask, since that 'ship has already sailed' so to speak.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by David McCallan Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:06 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:12 PM

All replies

• > I've read it all points to the fact that Migration needs to happen before OCS 2007 R2 is deployed. 

If by migration you mean to move the OCS/R2 global settings from root domain System partition to configuration partition, yes this must be done prior to stating OCS setup. It is a one-way street as far as I know and cannot be reversed.

> Is there a tool available, or going to be made available that will allow schema to be moved to Config container for decentralized topology?

Yes, that tool is the Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 Global Settings Migration Tool BUT can only be deployed as described above.

More about this and other topics at URL below. Thanks.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com/weblog/
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:08 PM
  • There is no way that you can move the global settings from root domain System partition to configuration partition after you run OCS 2007 R2 Schema Prep.
    Jithendranath Reddy
    Friday, February 13, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answers.  I appreciate at the moment that the Migration Tool cannot be used as the schema has already been updated to R2 level.  My question is, are there plans for a future tool to be released that will be able move the R2 Schema from the System Container to the Configuration Container?

Also, is it possible to remove the schema from Active Directory and start afresh?

Thanks,

David
    Friday, February 13, 2009 2:34 PM
  • David,

The changes to the Schema are permanent and this applies to all products (e.g. Exchange Server) which extend the AD Schema.  An Active Directory restore process does NOT offer the ability to 'roll-back' those changes, so any Schema extension process should always be treated as permanent and planned very carefully.

Due to this statement I doubt  there could be a tool developed to do what you ask, since that 'ship has already sailed' so to speak.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by David McCallan Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:06 AM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:12 PM
  • AD Schema modifications are permanent. If the new attributes are not required, they can be disabled but not removed or deleted.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com/weblog/
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 4:46 PM