The "Computers" tab does not show up in Home Server Remote access page RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
        I am having a problem accessing my home computer through my home server remote access page.  Basically, when I log on to my home server remote access webpage there is no computers tab shown.  I have made sure that I have enabled access to shared folders and computer in the user properties page but there is still no computers tab there.

The computer I am trying to access is running Vista Business and I have made sire that remote desktop is authorized for any remote desktop client version.  I am even able to access the computer using Remote desktop from another pc running vista premium.  I can also remotely connect into my server and from there remotely connect into my vista business machine so Remote desktop seems to be working fine.  Any ideas why the tab will not show up in my home server webpage?

thanks,
    David
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi David,
    do you use a different browser than Internet Explorer?
    In this case this is a known issue, since the Computers tab relies on ActiveX controls.
    These are natively only supported in IE or via a plugin in Firefox.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• Hi David,
    do you use a different browser than Internet Explorer?
    In this case this is a known issue, since the Computers tab relies on ActiveX controls.
    These are natively only supported in IE or via a plugin in Firefox.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:19 PM
  • For what it's worth . . .

For the remote access page to work, you have to be able to connect in to your Home Server using port 443.

At my office at work, we connect out using a proxy server. We can only connect out using the proxy. When we connect out, we must use port 81 - which connects to the proxy server - and the proxy server relays the request out to the internet on port 80. This is how we can access HTTP (port 80)

My company blocks port 443. So, when I log into my home servers web page, I can see the "shared" tab - but I can't see the remote access tab.

When I connect to my home server from another location (without any proxy) - my remote access works fine.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:07 PM