Validation on WIndows XP is not working. RRS feed

• Question

• After installing the genuine validation patch I now get always the message at startup that my windows XP Prof. is not genuine, but it is.

I already run the Windows validation assistent at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx
    and it says it is a valid copy/key.
    Then I run the KeyUpdateTool.exe and reentered my key from the COA. After that activated the computer again via phone, but still, the message at startup does not go away.

Please help. My diagnostics are attached.
    Ulf

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-G92XC-DP7XP-VT2VG
    Windows Product Key Hash: y/tAroptE/jInFYUlJkUL1tE1m4=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2244682-89918
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: DLKMR4F
    ID: 97ac229a-ea4f-499e-8da7-99ecfac8b8c6
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    Cache refresh Interval: 15125 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: N/A

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics: 7E90FEE8-165-80004005_B4D0AA8B-511-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Allowed
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>97ac229a-ea4f-499e-8da7-99ecfac8b8c6</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VT2VG</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2244682-89918</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3464882569-2508129105-170361853</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude D500                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20030530000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>74CA3E07018400CC</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Standard</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>65F64924C70C97E</Val><Hash>Aq5LqzgmcxFRg5jOcszmy0G2pIY=</Hash><Pid>54187-641-2300153-17362</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:18 PM

Answers

• Ulf:

We'll contact you directly through the SR. :)

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Ulf,

Thanks for the detailed post.  Both of your installs of Windows and Office are genuine, so lets see if we can get the message on start up to stop.

Can you go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/validate.aspx - this run the genuine validation.  You will see a message stating 'Validation Complete', and be thanked for validating your copy of Windows.

After this, can you reboot the system and tell me if the message still appears?  Also, do you have an icon in your system tray that is notifying you as well?  Or is it simply at startup?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, July 21, 2006 12:13 AM
  • Hi Ulf,

After looking at your issue further, can I get you to open a service request? 

Go here:  http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860

Please send the diagnostic output you supplied in the post.  I also would like you to send me one file from your PC.  It is the LegitCheckControl.dll which is located in your \Windows\System32 directory.

Please ask that this data be directed to Michelle Holtmann in the WGA team.  Product Support will make sure I get it.

One you submit your service request, you will be given an SR#.  If you could post that SR# here that would be great.  This service request can only be access by you and PSS, but it will help me in tracking down the information once you send it in.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, July 21, 2006 1:06 AM
  • Hi Michelle,

I did what you said and saw the "validation complete" message. Then I rebooted the computer, but still I get the same anoying dialogboxes.
    In fact I see three items:
    1) During startup a small dialog in the lower right corner saying that this copy of windows is not genuine.
    2) After logging-in the dialogbox in the center of the screen saying that this version is not genuine, where I have to wait for the 4 seconds countdown before I can proceed.
    3) The icon in the systemtray.

~
    Ulf

Friday, July 21, 2006 4:55 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

I filed a servicerequest: SRZ060721002045
    But I could not find a way to attach the dll to this forum or the service request. Please let me know how I can forward the dll to you.

Thanks,
    Ulf

Friday, July 21, 2006 4:59 PM
  • Ulf:

We'll contact you directly through the SR. :)

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:37 PM
  • Hi Ulf,

Thank you so much for sending in your LegitCheckControl.dll.  I appreciate it.  Can you confirm something else for me? 

1) Open Windows Explorer.
    2) Go to your \Windows\System32 directory.
    3) Find LegitCheckControl.dll
    4) Highlight it and right mouse click, choose properties.
    5) The LegitCheckControl.dll properties dialog box will be displayed.
    6) Click the Digital Signatures tab.
    7) The signature list should display.  Click once on the first signature in the list (so it is highlighted).
    8) Click the Details button.

This will cause the Digital Signature Details dialog box to be displayed.  Can you please tell me what it says? 

Does it tell you the signature is good? 

What information is in the Signer Information section?

We're getting close...so hang with me.  I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, July 24, 2006 5:32 PM
  • Hi Michelle,

It says "The digital signature is OK"

Signerinformation says:
    Name: Microsoft Corporation
    E-mail: Not available
    Signing time: Monday, June 19, 2006 4:19:40 PM

~
    Ulf

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:11 PM
  • le weindows que j'ai n'es pas original
    Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:24 PM
  • Hi Ulf,

Thanks for getting back to me.  The details you provided are good and your LegitCheckControl.dll is properly signed.  I'm going to talk to our architect and see what else we can try.

What state do you live in?  I'm only wondering if you are in the same time zone as we are (Pacific).

I'll touch base with you later today to share what I have found out from my investigation.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:10 PM
  • I am living in California.

I hope you do not ask me to reinstall Windows. That is not acceptable.

~
    Ulf

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 8:15 PM
  • Hi Ulf,

Goodness no, I wasn't thinking reinstall.  We actually have another customer in California (coincidently) who is having an almost identical issue.  There is one more thing that I was wondering if you could check for me?

1) Click the Windows START button and go to RUN.
    2) Type regedit (this will open the registry).
    3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    4) Go to the SOFTWARE directory
    5) Go to the MICROSOFT directory
    6) Go to the WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE directory (and make sure its highlighted).
    7) Right mouse click on WINDOWS GENUINE ADVANTAGE directory and choose PERMISSIONS
    8) A dialog box will be displayed (Properties for Windows Genuine Advantage)
    9) Make sure that your Administrator, User and System accounts all have the FULL CONTROL and READ attributes selected (which will be indicated by check marks in the permissions pane below the account).

Please let me know if any of the accounts were marked with the DENY attribute.

Also...one last question.  How technical are you?  The reason I'm asking is I am looking for a customer who is in your situation, who would be willing to make an image of their hard drive.  We would pay to have it sent to us overnight.  This would allow us to do some deeper analysis into what we think the problem may be.  Obviously there would be more to it than just me posting to you via the forum, but I'm just throwing this out as a question to see if this is something you would be willing to do. 

Think about it and let me know!!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:04 PM
  • Hello Michelle,

The Permissions for "Full control" and "Read" are set to "allowed" for myself, the administrator and the system group. No permissions are denied.

I am technically savy and can investigate what ever you want, but am not willing to send you an image of the harddisc because it is a company owned computer and contains a lot of confidential data that can not be disclosed.

Why don't you produce an instrumented version of your dlls to log the whole verification process during startup to find out what is going on? Should not be too complicated...

Cheers,
    Ulf

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:31 AM
  • Hi Ulf,

Thanks for the confirmation regarding the permissions.

Thank you for your help investigating this, I really appreciate it.  I didn't realize that this was a company owned computer that was displaying this behavior and I certainly understand that you cannot share the image due to confidential data.  Thank you for letting me know.

Are you by any chance the network admin or IT guy for your company?  Can you tell me at a high level about your network?  Are your servers NT 4.0 or Win2K3?  Do users use a roaming profile?  If you don't know this info off the top of your head, can you find out for me?

Let me know!!!

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 6:41 PM
  • We have a variety of servers, however our domain server is a win2K active directory server.   We don't use roaming profiles here.
    Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:25 PM
  • Ulf:

Michelle and I will attempt to reach you directly through the Service Request number you stated above. Is that okay?

-phil

Thursday, July 27, 2006 2:36 AM
  • Why should it not be ok?

Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:11 PM
  • Thanks Ulf.  We just didn't want to drop an email into your inbox uninvited, that's all.  Phil sent you an email and you'll be able to contact us directly via that.

Thanks again,
    Michelle

Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:07 PM
  • Phil/Michelle-

I am having very much the same prblem as Ulf, and my computer is a personal laptop without constraints on providing you data from the hard drive. I have opened SRN SRZ060729001841 in case you would like to work with me on the problem.

Thanks-

Frank

Saturday, July 29, 2006 6:33 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Can you post your diagnostic tool results here for me?  If you have not run it yet go to:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062 and run the tool.  Click copy to clipboard and reply to this thread and paste the results. 

I will also query PSS to get the info from your service request.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, July 31, 2006 8:36 PM
  • I am posting this reply so that other forum users can see how the service request was closed and Ulf's issue resolved.  In certain instances Windows XP may experience issues reading the digital signature of a file. 

The following text is copied directly from Ulf's diagnostic data:

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Note how the Signature Type is Unknown.  This should show who the signer is.  In this case, it should be Microsoft.

CAUSE:

These issues may indicate that a component of Windows XP that process digital signatures is damaged.

RESOLUTION:

To resolve this behavior, re-register the Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll files.

To do so, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.

In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

At the command prompt, type regsvr32 softpub.dll, and then press ENTER.

Click OK when you receive the message that DllRegisterServer in Softpub.dll succeeded.

Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the following files: Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Mssip32.dll, and Cryptdlg.dll.

Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Command Prompt.

For additional details on this, you can review the following KB:  http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=813442

We appreciate the time Ulf took in helping us diagnose his issue.  We were even more pleased when he wrote us back stating resolution outlined above fixed his problem and we could close the service request! 

Thanks!
    Michelle

Thursday, August 3, 2006 12:23 AM
  • I just logged into my machine and I am getting the same warnings as everyone else.  I didn't start having any problems until I updated McAfee on line. Is everyone else with this problem using McAfee?  This is the only change to the system I have made in the past few months.
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:06 AM
  • Adam:

Our MVP associates have identified the issue and we're working furious to resolve it.

-phil

Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:12 AM
  • I am also receiving the warning message/system tray warning icon after having updated McAfee online.  The situation is identical to the OP's except for one thing:  the MGADiag tool says this:  

Signature Type: Microsoft

...which leads me to believe that it's not *quite* the same issue.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 3:41 AM
  • Hi Skweek,

If you want, you can post your diagnostic output in a reply and I'll take a look at it.  It might be something else.  Based upon the output, we'll be able to customize the troubleshooting to your specific issue.

Let me know if you want me to assist.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Friday, August 11, 2006 4:55 PM