Copying data from my local pc to the WHS11. RRS feed

• Question

• My original build of WHS 2011 didn't survive when the basement flooded this past month. I've built another, identical except for OS drive and OS backup drive, and now I am trying to figure out the best way to copy my data back in. My copies are not in a backup form but raw copies of the shared folders to a backup drive which I then sync to local pc's (I like redundancy) and finally burn dvd's to keep offsite.

Originally I had just been using Synctoy 2.1 over the network and without any apparent issues but now when I try to reverse the process Synctoy started off saying "Deleting File.." a few times so I immediately cancelled it. I'm not sure whats going on. The left folder is the local drive, the right is the network share and the action is echo. The server folders being empty. I also created another sync of the folders with a Sync action instead and got similar results.

That's when I began looking for alternative methods, thinking it might be some kind of weird date issue on the file, and read about Robocopy but for the life of me I can't get Robocopy to reference the server (ex: \\server\pictures) from the local machine which has read/write rights at the user level.

I realize I can select all and then copy and paste but I'd really like to get some form of schedule-able process going so that I don't have to keep checking on it every so often. (Plus I like to find answers to the problems I run into)

Anyone have any ideas with whats going on with Synctoy or can provide some guidance with Robocopy, or even recommend a better utility - that would be great.

Thank you.

Tim

ps - I also had problems setting up a Synctoy Sync on the HTPC. it would just not copy any new files from the local Recorded TV to the Servers Recorded TV folder unless I manually ran it. If it let it run from task scheduler nothing new would copy over. Only when ran manually. I created a new folder on the server: Rec TV Bkup, and created a new Synctoy pair to the local recorded tv and that works fine both manually and thru task scheduler.   I'm not sure if that's relevant or not but thought I better mention it. It sure is odd to me.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:39 AM

All replies

• Try SyncToy in "Contribute" mode and run a "Preview" to see what it plans to do before allowing it to do so. As an alternative, have a look at SyncBack.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:23 AM
  • Try RichCopy
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/query/dd547088

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : Thank you.
    :
    : Tim
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

BullDawg
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Thank you I will try as you suggest.

Regarding Synback, do you know if it preservers the original date and timestamps on the files? Mostly it didn't matter when I used Synctoy but in a few cases it was a royal pain. Other wise it looks pretty nice.

Also I see it supports 2008 but will it run on the WHS11 server itself?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:51 PM
  • I'm going to download both and putz around with them and see which I like better. TY for the suggestion and the link. LOL I had read on it but when I went to MS's downloads I couldn't find "RichCopy" and now I see why. hehehehe.

I hope you are enjoying your semi-retirement :-)

Tim

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Regarding Synback, do you know if it preservers the original date and timestamps on the files? Mostly it didn't matter when I used Synctoy but in a few cases it was a royal pain. Other wise it looks pretty nice.

Also I see it supports 2008 but will it run on the WHS11 server itself?

It certainly maintains the "Modified" date. Not tried running it directly on my Servers as I run it on my main client.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:31 AM