Unable to copy/play from WHS2011 share RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have looked and posted at other sites and not been able to come close to a solution for my problem.

I have WHS2011 installed and running with no issues on a corei3 with asus uefi motherboard 8GB Ram and a 320gb laptop drive as main system drive. I have 2 x 3TB WD HDD formatted in GPT and only the single partition on each (no RAID). Each have shared folders accross the network that are accessed from up to 5 win7 client machines 32/64 bit.

I can copy from the Client machines to the Server with no issues, but I cannot copy or play FROM the Server.... (it will commence copy and then stay on transfer rate of 0kbs) (if i play it will play 2 seconds and freeze for 15-20seconds and play a further 2sec and repeat..)

I have looked at permissions and all files have read/access permissions set ok. I have tried joining and leaving the Homegroup to no change. I have installed the client software and am able to log into the terminal. I can RDP into the Terminal from the Client machines but I get a drastic freeze when trying to do anything other than browse "My Computer"... If I use VNC to connect, I have no such issues... Also if i use directly from mouse/keyboard at the Terminal, no issues...

I can connect via a Linux client to the shared folders and have no issues playing or copying from the server...

What is going on??????

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:39 AM

Answers

• Ok, well its a hardware or driver issue with the onboard adaptor.

Bought an Intel Gigabit nic today and it works great, getting transfers of 120MB/sec+ so it is definitely the adaptor...

Thanks for all those that assisted by putting their input in.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by rwombat Monday, September 12, 2011 3:35 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:35 AM

All replies

• No idea, but I would suggest:

• Removing VNC and any other software you have installed on the Server outside the Dashboard
    • Remove all add-ins (or open the Dashboard with them disabled)
    • Get rid of the Homegroup and use individual folder permissions set up via the Dashboard only
    • Check the CPU activity on the Server when it locks up
    • Undo any customisation (folder permissions etc) you may have done outside the Dashboard

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Thanks for the insights, but yes, I understand the principle of the OS and the Dashboard was predominantly used:

Everything was done first via dashboard.

VNC was put on afterwards due to the locking up using RDP as I still want desktop access at times.

Dashboard does not lock up.

No add-ins at all have ever been installed on it.

Homegroup is not on, all shares are via permissions.

Not sure what you mean by checking the activity in Task Manager.. the system is locked up.. Frozen for sometimes 1 minute then comes back as though nothing happened, task manager does not display anything during the period of "frozen" just continues from where it was, cpu usage is minimal, around %5 normal and up to %20 when opening files/programs etc

No custimisations outside of Dashboard

The whole reason of using this was as a file server for the rest of my PC's due to the ability to use the 3TB HDD's, so once system installed I installed the client on my main system then setup shares in Dashboard.

As stated going to the server is no issue, can copy to the server from any terminal, just cannot get OFF the server unless on Linux. Cannot even copy off if I try directly from the server, it does the same thing, transfers at 0kbps.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:08 AM
  • I can connect via a Linux client to the shared folders and have no issues playing or copying from the server...

I'm going to guess that the issue is on your Windows clients. Is there some piece of software you have installed on all your Windows clients (or some specific configuration setting you've made) that might in any way interfere with network traffic? AV? Personal firewall?

And does this happen with a Windows machine that you haven't joined to your server? Your shares should still be accessible via \\<server>\<sharename> as normal. You may have to provide credentials to access shares depending on how security is set up; if so provide those of a user on your server. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:08 PM
  • I'm going to take a stab here, but the only difference that I can see is Workgroups. My Win7 terminals I made all MSHOME as it helped when connecting other terminals for access when I brought them home from work (XP machines mainly). The Server is on the WORKGROUP workgroup... Unfortunatly I see no immediate way of changing the workgroup due to the Certification Authority Service restriction... Any tip on how to change?

I do not run any Anti-virus or software Firewall. I have left my system pretty open as I use router to control firewall and everything internally has no restrictions other than user password access to share folders which I have never had any troubles with prior.

Attempting to access via a non server connected terminal results in the same (after user access has been given, no access at all without user rights set up first of course)

***EDIT*** Well, I changed one of my Win7 machines to the WORKGROUP workgroup and re-entered the user in the server for access rights, and no change... so it seems it isn't the Workgroup that is casuing it either..

The only other network related software that I have running on my machines are Logmein and VNC....

• Edited by rwombat Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:10 PM
  • I am almost certain that it is not a Workgroup issue - my servers are all "Workgroup" and my Clients something else and this does not cause a problem. There have been people who have changed from "Workgroup" during the WHS install process (reported on this site) but I can not ascertain exactly why they felt the need to do so as it appears not to have any positive impact on the server performance and is potentially open to generating significant problems.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Thanks Phil, as you said, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Workgroup.. Thought it was worth a try at this stage though.... Any other ideas?

I have been trying to copy files larger than 10MB, and I just tried a 6kb srt file and it copied over fine, so it is copying, just at an extremely slow rate it seems....

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Wow ok, no one has any other ideas?

Could network cable be causing it?

What else could it possibly be?

I have tryed changing settings on client machines with no changes in network access at all... :(

Anything would be helpful at this stage as I might as well format and change to Win7 or Server 2008 instead if I can't get this working...

Thursday, September 8, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Try disabling tcp offloading for both tcp4 and tcp6 in the advanced settings. This has worked for others.
    Ben Ogilvie www.hdtvtoyz.com
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:39 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion, but no go there either :(
    Friday, September 9, 2011 9:48 AM
  • If you haven't done so, please submit a bug for this on Connect.
    Friday, September 9, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hmmm I have installed server 2008 and am getting the exact same problem. I will try installing Win7 and if i get the same issue, I am going to go with a hardware fault. Tryed new cable, no change. Checked settings in UEFI, same. Have done a full re-install of WHS with same results. Not much left to try really. Just very strange that Linux is able to access fully with absolutly no issues at all... All other systems have no trouble accessing ANY other terminal, whether they are new installs, a system that has been in use for more than 12 months or a friend dropping in, they all can copy to and from each other just not the server... :(

I had 2008 installed on an older spec system and it had no issues with access and copying...

Unfortunately I havent tryed XP yet, so might try that first before any more formatting... if i can find the XP box around here somewhere.... but its not going to help with Win7 access...

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:20 PM
  • How about it's a driver issue (LAN card) with both WHS2011 and Server 2008 which probably use the same drivers. Are there any alternatives you can try?
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Ok, well I found my old XP box, and guess what, it works fine, no issues at all!

It is just Win7 that has some issue with retrieving information via LAN off the server.

As for Driver, the mobo is a ASUS P8H 61-M LX with intel H61 Chipset. I could not find any alternative drivers on their website to try, unless anyone knows of an alternative I could try? I guess I could find a LAN card and throw in and see if it works via that. Would have to buy one tomorrow though as I dont have one lying around :(

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Are you a betting man/woman?
    Friday, September 9, 2011 3:56 PM
  • I'll let you know after I get the card tomorrow :P
    Friday, September 9, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hmmm he says, hedging his bets, it has the Realtek® RTL8111E Gigabit LAN controller, which is the same as on my Asus P8P67-M Pro which works fine!

Friday, September 9, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Ok, well it was a fun day, and I got some results, but not exactly what I wanted...

1. Bought card, then had to return as I forgot that the board has only PCIx slots and no standard PCI. Unfortunately MSY does not stock PCIx cards other than Wireless, so, Wireless it was.

2. Installed the Wireless, and hey presto, it works fine!!!!!

3. Until I can get a PCIx GB LAN Card it seems I will have to use Wireless...

4. Or Microsoft fixes the bug that is causing it.... I will submit a bug for this issue on connect as Ken suggested..

5. Maybe it is only working ok because WLan is using different protocols and it wont matter which Wired LAN I use it will still stuff up?

I will repost once I get hold of a PCIx LAN card.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 7:55 AM
  • ... Or Microsoft fixes the bug that is causing it.... I will submit a bug for this issue on connect as Ken suggested.. ...

Works with network adapter A, doesn't work with adapter B (and does work with other adapters using the same chipset as adapter B): Microsoft closes this bug as "External". Fixing a third party's drivers, or building a shim into Windows to support a third party's driver issues, isn't in the cards.
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:05 PM
  • Ok, well its a hardware or driver issue with the onboard adaptor.

Bought an Intel Gigabit nic today and it works great, getting transfers of 120MB/sec+ so it is definitely the adaptor...

Thanks for all those that assisted by putting their input in.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by rwombat Monday, September 12, 2011 3:35 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:35 AM
  • Had the exact same issue with the network as you i have a GIGABYTE X38-DQ6 which is using the Realtek 8111B chipset and i tried using the default drivers and it wouldnt work and so i updated using the drivers on the Realtek site and that still had the same issue so i used the ones that gigabyte still have listed on their site for my card and they work perfectly.  If people are having the same issue (and your motherboard has the same chipset) i recommend going to the gigabyte site and downloading the drivers and seeing if they work.   There the Windows 7 version 7.046 drivers.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:48 PM