none
how can I increase the parallelism of a job RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that runs is licensed to run on 5 workstations. The HPC tasks are fairly light, in a CPU sense, but run for a very long time. I'd like, for example, to take 50 tasks and run 10 on each workstation, but I want the 10 on each workstation to run at the same time.  If, as a test, I define one job, with 10 tasks, it only executes 5 tasks at a time, one per workstation. Is there a way to tell it to run multiple tasks on each workstation, at the same time?
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

You can run as many tasks concurrently on one workstation node as the number of logical CPU cores it has. 

Make sure you specify “the type of resource to request for this job" to "Core" (it is the default value) when you create a job, and do not specify "Exclusive" to "true"  for the tasks in the job.

Friday, November 28, 2014 3:10 AM
  • Thanks!  Will give that a try!

mark...

Friday, November 28, 2014 11:55 AM
  • Please check how many cores you have for each of your workstation. And if you set your job allocation unit to cores, the scheduler will start the number of tasks that equal to the number of cores on the workstation node.

And if you want the scheduler to start exact 10 tasks on every workstation, then please using Powershell Cmdlet Set-HPCNode -Name <nodeName> -SubscribedCores 10 so that scheduler will think there are 10 cores on that node. Please check details here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff950183.aspx

Hope this works for you.

Qiufang Shi

Thursday, December 4, 2014 5:53 AM