none
Digital Signature for KMDF Lower filter driver in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a KMDF Lower filter driver written for the USB. I have signed the driver file with normal code signing certificate for Windows 7 so far. I need to install the driver now on a Windows 10 PC. But I am confused with the digital signature terms for Windows 10. Should I use an EV certificate for signing the filter driver Note: I tried installing the driver in Windows 10 (driver signed by normal code signing certificate). The driver continues to work fine without any issues. Please explain the behaviour. Is the EV certificate not essential then?
    • Edited by Sudharsan62 Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:39 AM
    • Moved by Hart Wang Monday, November 6, 2017 3:07 AM
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on my know that Windows 10 Earlier Certificate Transition Signing .

1. A driver signed with any certificate issued after July 29th, 2015, with time stamping, is not recommended for Windows 10.
    2. A driver signed with any certificate that expires after July 29th, 2015, without time stamping, will work on Windows 10 until the certificate expires.

I am not sure that the feature cause the behavior.
    Best Regards,
    Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Hart Wang Wednesday, October 18, 2017 7:57 AM
    Wednesday, October 18, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I did not get your point 1. - Do you mean to say driver signed with normal code signing certificate is not recommended on a Windows 10 and it is compulsory to go with a EV certificate?

Do we need EV certificate for filter drivers as well?

On your second point, my driver is signed with normal code signing certificate and the certificate was purchased after July 29th, 2015 only.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 6:21 AM
  • Hi Sudharsan62,

Thank you for your feedback.

The 29th, 2015 time maybe cause the issue, If your code signing certificate was purchased after July 29th, 2015. 

The certificate will work until he certificate expires. So the driver continues to work fine without any issues.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 19, 2017 8:20 AM
  • Hi, I already understood what you said. But my doubt is mainly on the EV certificate for filters drivers. Could you please provide some insights on that? Is it compulsory to sign filter drivers with EV certificate?
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

i think that the issue is related to driver certificate, you can post the issue on the following forum.

i will move the case to off-topic forum.

Best Regards,

Hart

Friday, October 20, 2017 8:49 AM