oem windows XP

Question

• I need to reformat my 2 Dell computers, but I lost the OEM XP Home cd's they came with.  Is there anywhere I can download the OEM XP from so that I can use the key codes I already have??   Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 7:58 PM

Answers

• Micd,

Typically, images of XP CDs available on the P2P sites are infected with rootkits, spyware, and who-knows-what-else.  Why would you take the risk of using one of those?

Order a replacement OS Reinstallation CD from Dell for less than $15.

Or, maybe one or both Dells has Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed.  If so, that utility will reimage the user portion of the HDD in about 10 minutes.  To use Dell PC Restore by Symantec, restart and at the Dell logo, press and hold CTRL, press F11, then release both simultaneously.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:52 PM
  • Micd,

Again Dan is spot on! Using images of non-genuine Microsoft Software can leave your machine in a catastrophic state. Please request Dell reinstallation recovery CDs directly from Dell Technical Support. Contact them @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warrantee you should be eligible for free a replacement copy of the Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs. Should the machine not be under warrantee there will be a nominal fee for replacing the recovery CDs. Dell technical support will identify all associated costs as well as presenting you with options. Please have all your original purchasing information available should they require any additional information. This will expedite the process for you.  Remember to back up all data prior reformatting and restoring the hard drive. Please feel free to post again should you need further assistance with WGA. Have a great week!

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Stephen:

Is it possible to get the XP oem CD? I have a CD-Key, although I think is is pre-sp1....
    I appear to have lost it.

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:20 PM
  • LtSiver,

If the Certificate of Authenticity has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on the line right underneath the description of the product, say "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition," then this is a systembuilder/OEM license (rather than an OEM SLP license from a major manufacturer OEM).  In such case, a lost CD can be replaced by asking your systembuilder to participate in the End User Media Replacement program, which is a customer service program from Microsoft that supplies replacement CDs to systembuilders for free so that they can supply them to their customers.

If you don't have a systembuilder or they are no longer in business, you can request a replacement CD from Microsoft for $30 using this form:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/a/b/babc90a1-b794-4a94-84f5-cbc37827ddca/americas%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form.pdf

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:54 AM
  • Dan,

Thank you for the information :-).  This should have him up and running in no time. 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Stephen MS,

You're welcome!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:17 AM

All replies

• Micd,

Typically, images of XP CDs available on the P2P sites are infected with rootkits, spyware, and who-knows-what-else.  Why would you take the risk of using one of those?

Order a replacement OS Reinstallation CD from Dell for less than $15.

Or, maybe one or both Dells has Dell PC Restore by Symantec installed.  If so, that utility will reimage the user portion of the HDD in about 10 minutes.  To use Dell PC Restore by Symantec, restart and at the Dell logo, press and hold CTRL, press F11, then release both simultaneously.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 8:52 PM
  • Micd,

Again Dan is spot on! Using images of non-genuine Microsoft Software can leave your machine in a catastrophic state. Please request Dell reinstallation recovery CDs directly from Dell Technical Support. Contact them @ 1-800- 624-9896. Explain your situation. You will be asked for your service tag number of your system. In turn if the machine is still under warrantee you should be eligible for free a replacement copy of the Dell Reinstallation Recovery CDs. Should the machine not be under warrantee there will be a nominal fee for replacing the recovery CDs. Dell technical support will identify all associated costs as well as presenting you with options. Please have all your original purchasing information available should they require any additional information. This will expedite the process for you.  Remember to back up all data prior reformatting and restoring the hard drive. Please feel free to post again should you need further assistance with WGA. Have a great week!

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Stephen:

Is it possible to get the XP oem CD? I have a CD-Key, although I think is is pre-sp1....
    I appear to have lost it.

Monday, May 14, 2007 10:20 PM
  • LtSiver,

If the Certificate of Authenticity has "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on the line right underneath the description of the product, say "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition," then this is a systembuilder/OEM license (rather than an OEM SLP license from a major manufacturer OEM).  In such case, a lost CD can be replaced by asking your systembuilder to participate in the End User Media Replacement program, which is a customer service program from Microsoft that supplies replacement CDs to systembuilders for free so that they can supply them to their customers.

If you don't have a systembuilder or they are no longer in business, you can request a replacement CD from Microsoft for $30 using this form:  http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/a/b/babc90a1-b794-4a94-84f5-cbc37827ddca/americas%20end%20user%20media%20replacement%20form.pdf

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:54 AM
  • Dan,

Thank you for the information :-).  This should have him up and running in no time. 

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:40 PM
  • Stephen MS,

You're welcome!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:17 AM
  • Stephen MS,

I got my desktop from Gateway, and I recently reformatted, but do not have my reinstallation cds.  I contacted Gateway support as you mentioned contacting Dell, but they responded that they do not have any reinstallation cds and recommend I buy a new copy of XP.  Is there any other thing I could do?  I'd really prefer not to spend another $200 on a copy of XP, since I only need the disk since I still have the product key.

Thank
    Steven Evangelista
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Steve of BU,

When you need to reinstall XP on your major manufacturer computer and you have lost/misplaced the supplied reinstallation CDs, here are your alternatives:

1.  Contact the manufacturer to request that they send you reinstallation CDs for your make and model of computer.

2.  Use a genuine Microsoft CD that comes with the systembuilder/OEM license for your specific edition of XP (Home, Pro, etc).  Install using this CD and the Product Key on the genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the major manufacturer computer.  DO NOT use the Product Key that came with the systembuilder/OEM CD.  Finally, do a telephonic activation.

3.  Search the internet for sites that specialize in selling major manufacturer Recovery CDs; for example www.restoredisks.com.

4.  Search internet auction sites for the specific recovery CD that you need.  DO NOT get confused and buy generic emergency utility/start-up CDs; be sure you are buying a manufacturer's recovery CD for your specific make and model.

5.  Search internet auction sites for people selling your make and model of computer.  Contact the seller to see if they have their manufacturer-supplied Recovery CDs and if so, ask them to sell you a copy.

Good luck!

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Hello Pablo Izard,

It is not advisable to download iso files of any Microsoft products from any source that is not directly associated with microsoft.com or digitalriver.com.

Please edit your post to remove the download link.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:52 AM