E-mails get rejected by e-mail router RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all
    I importing e-mails from a mailbox to a queue in CRM. I'm experiencing problems with e-mails that are sendt to this mailbox via internal distribution lists. In other words my mailbox XXX is in distribution list XYZ. When I send an e-mail to this XYZ distribution list I receive the e-mail in the XXX mailbox but it is not imported to CRM. When I look at the e-mail router log the email is logged as rejected.

Is anyone aware of any bugs that causes this problem? We just installed Rollup 9 this morning. But I'm not sure that's the problem. 

Kind regards, Thomas Rath
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:17 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure I completely follow the issue, but here is a suggestion for consideration.  Maybe you can setup a rule on Exchange, to check the incoming messages sent to the distribution list and then forward the appropriate ones to the e-mail address assigned to the CRM queue (Exchange e-mail address associated with the queue)? 
    • Marked as answer by ThomasRath Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:24 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:03 PM

All replies

• Mainly if E-mail Router is rejecting an email it means that in the configuration you have option to catch emails related to the contacts and these emails cannot be resolved by the system. Check your options.  Also you can download Email Router Diagnostic tool

<cite>blogs.msdn.com/benlec/</cite>

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

please see these articles [1] which describe how to debug mail routing issues.

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/benlec/archive/tags/E-Mail+Connector/default.aspx

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:13 AM
  • I'm already using both diagnostic tools. That is how I came to the conlusion that the problem is releated to distibutution list. It seems that the e-mail simply to not support handling e-mails sent to a monitored mailbox via a distribution list.

If that is the case the e-mail router is allmost rendered useless in my case. Both internally and externally mails are often sent to this important mailbox via distribution lists. I should be relatively simple to loop through the distribution list in the e-mail and check if any of the recipient e-mail aderesses can be mapped to a queue. It seems like an unfortunate design flaw in the e-mail router to me.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:36 PM
  • I'm not sure I completely follow the issue, but here is a suggestion for consideration.  Maybe you can setup a rule on Exchange, to check the incoming messages sent to the distribution list and then forward the appropriate ones to the e-mail address assigned to the CRM queue (Exchange e-mail address associated with the queue)? 
    • Marked as answer by ThomasRath Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:24 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:03 PM
  • We created a support case with Microsoft. The reply is that distribution lists are not supported "by design". They suggest af workaround similar to Donna's. So I guest I will have to look into implementing this workaround as best af possible for now. Hopefuly the team will consider improving this design in a future release or rollup?

Thanks for the help Donna.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 6:24 AM
  • You're welcome Thomas, have a good week.  Please check the Microsoft Connect site to see if the suggestion already exists.  If you find a suggestion, then please vote for it.  If not, please add the suggestion and ask people to vote for it.
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:12 PM