Question for Sandy Weil RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi,

My company has purchased three CDs and COAs from a seemingly reputable seller on e-bay. I suspect them to be high quality counterfeits and I have already contacted your piracy@microsoft.com and your Mswga@microsoft.com support centers. When I talked to your representatives I asked them if the small business I work for could get three complimentary disks because we had three suspected counterfeits. Both the representatives of Mswga@microsoft.com and piracy@microsoft.com were not able to answer my question. On your http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx website you say that:

"The genuine Windows offer is limited to one order per machine. For the complimentary offer, small business customers are limited to five copies per shipping address. The offer is subject to availability."

I would like to know if I have to send in the three orders individually or if I can send the three disks in through one large order. Furthermore, I would like to find out if there is any way to verify that my company is eligible for the complimentary offer prior to sending the suspect material.

A. Thomas 
    Friday, September 22, 2006 2:46 PM

Answers

• Rule of genuine software buying:

1. Never buy software off of ebay.

2.  See rule number one.

COAs only come with hardware purchases.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 4:18 AM

All replies

• Rule of genuine software buying:

1. Never buy software off of ebay.

2.  See rule number one.

Sunday, September 24, 2006 4:18 AM
  •  Susan Bradley wrote:

>snip<

With the exception of software purchased under a Volume Licensing Agreement, each and every Genuine MS software and hardware product that I have ever seen has come with a Certificate of Authenticity.

• Retail software (Windows and Office) has a COA affixed to the package's "boxtop."  Some software (games and Works) has the COA on the CD sleeve/jewel case.
    • OEM software has a COA affixed to the computer (Windows beyond W95 and some W98) or to the CD sleeves/jewel case in which the CDs come.
    • OEM hardware has a COA enclosed with the hardware packaging or affixed to the hardware itself (I have an old MS mouse here with a COA on a label on the mouse cord).
    • Retail hardware has a COA enclosed with the hardware packaging or affixed to the hardware itself.

And I suppose in a manner of speaking, the VLA paperwork could be considered a sort of Certificate of Authenticity.

Monday, September 25, 2006 4:48 PM
  • Thank you for your input, however my original question has not yet been answered! If someone with authority on the subject would be kind enough to reply to my message I would be grateful.

A. Thomas
    Tuesday, September 26, 2006 1:37 PM
  • Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

We are currently working on making it easier for small businesses to easily submit requests for multiple counterfeit reports. As it stands today... the only way to submit multiple requests is to fill out the countefeit report form multiple times.

To access the counterfeit report form that you need to fill out and print for the complimentary offer follow the below instructions:

• goto http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx? 
    • validate windows on one of the machines that is not genuine
    • when you land on the genuine page, click on the link that says all options (below the buy now button)
    • on thye following page look for the complimentary offer and drill down.
    • you should be able to follow the instructions from there
    • the last page in the process will ask you to print out the counterfeit report form so you can sumit it and your CD and your receipt to an address in the United States.

You will need to do this from each machine running a copy of non genuine Windows.  When it comes time to send the information in... send in your 3 counterfeit reports forms, 3 cds, and one receipt all together.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Sandy Weil
    Program Manager, Genuine Advantage

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:16 PM