WHS and Sound RRS feed

• General discussion

• I find it disappointing that Microsoft has disabled sound in WHS. My scenario is I have several hundred gigs of wave files and J River Media Center (currently on a vista box). The sound card I am using has the ability to output 4 stereo pairs (zones) that attach to my Nuvo Whole house audio system which allows me to play up to 4 different tracks in up to 6 different zones in the house. I like the idea of having this setup on a server for uptime reliability, but none of the microsoft server products support sound cards.

It seems that with the growing popularity of "server based media" that a server OS would/should support sound cards
    Friday, October 9, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies

• I find it disappointing that Microsoft has disabled sound in WHS. My scenario is I have several hundred gigs of wave files and J River Media Center (currently on a vista box). The sound card I am using has the ability to output 4 stereo pairs (zones) that attach to my Nuvo Whole house audio system which allows me to play up to 4 different tracks in up to 6 different zones in the house. I like the idea of having this setup on a server for uptime reliability, but none of the microsoft server products support sound cards.

It seems that with the growing popularity of "server based media" that a server OS would/should support sound cards
    That's because a server isn't supposed to have sound.  A server (whether WHS or any other server OS) is supposed to serve files to another device that does have the ability to play sound (and videos for that matter).  Devices such as a client PC, XBox 360, PS3, etc.  This helps to keep the server OS as stable and reliable as possible.  Besides, you would also have to logon to the server desktop to control whatever app you used to play the sound and logging into the server desktop is unsupported on WHS.
    Friday, October 9, 2009 10:11 PM
  • Not necessarily, In this scenario serving wave files is the purpose. I use Cinemar's mainlobby and Homeseer that remotely access the J River application. I only log into the box when I have to do updates and or restart because it is currently a desktop OS. I run the server piece of the Cinemar suite on 2k3 as well as the Homeseer application also accessed via clients.  I don't own a game box nor do I plan on it. Also note that I am not using mp3 but fully uncompressed wave files that feed not only my nuvo but high end audio equipment. reliability is the key here, which server OS's offer that desktop OS's don't.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 12:53 AM
  • It's kind of a catch-22. Servers aren't meant to be desktops and desktops aren't meant to be servers...generally speaking, of course.

Luckily, while unsupported, you *can* and many people do enable sound on server SW, including WHS. Other options might include FreeBSD or MS 2008 server which has a "desktop experience" feature. Some people confuse unsupported with impossible, etc. ;)

Good luck...

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 2:49 AM
  • I find it disappointing that Microsoft has disabled sound in WHS. ...
    Microsoft hasn't. My dev server has a sound card. (legacy hardware) While I don't actually bother, I can play media (including sound) on that server just fine. What Microsoft has done is separate a Remote Desktop connection from the physical hardware, which means that you can't easily use Remote Desktop to control sound playback. But that's been true since the beginning of Remote Desktop, and is done primarily for reasons of stability.
    but none of the microsoft server products support sound cards.
    See above, but in addition, you're probably blaming the wrong vendor. If the sound card vendor doesn't choose to provide a driver that will work reliably on a Windows Server operating system, what exactly should Microsoft do about it?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:26 AM
  • I've found that XP drivers are pretty reliable on my WHS, when win2k3 drivers aren't available, and I do a LOT of unsupported stuff with mine. :D

YMMV...

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 4:06 AM