Should free space be larger than capacity in disk management? RRS feed

• Question

• Several days ago, my 2 year old diy home server (built entirely from new parts) started reporting that the sys volume was failing.  I immediately shut it down until I could look at it.

The first thing I did was drop in a Spinrite 6 CD and check the two internal WD 1 TB disks (which were new when installed).  Spinrite reports everything is great.  I then ran the WD diagnostics and it too reports everything is okay.  I checked the event logs and it shows that harddisk2 is having issues.  harddisk2 is, I believe, the USB drive I have connected and use for backups of the WHS.  I assume sys drive would be harddisk0 and second internal drive would be harddisk1.  I can find no evidence of the sys drive failing.

Next step is to run chkdsk.

I opened disk management to look around and noticed that the drive (hdd0) that contains SYS reports free space that's larger than the capacity of the drive.  I assume this has something to do with DE, but maybe this is an indication of corruption in the file system.  Can someone confirm or do I have corruption?

Here are a few of the event log entries:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Ftdisk
    Event Category: Disk
    Event ID: 57
    Date:  5/8/2010
    Time:  11:52:02 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MATTERHORN
    Description:
    The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Disk
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 51
    Date:  5/8/2010
    Time:  11:52:02 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: MATTERHORN
    Description:
    An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2 during a paging operation.

Friday, May 14, 2010 7:56 PM

All replies

• More free space reported is a cosmetic issue, which is normal for Windows Home Server and is necessary for reporting the proper size of the free space in the storage pool for Vista and Windows 7 clients.

For the other issue check the disks according to the FAQ How to check all the drives in your server for errors.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 14, 2010 9:37 PM