Catastrophic WHS failure. RRS feed

• Question

• I've been using WHS since the beta and everything has been working great until last week.  The server would no longer boot up.  I started it in safe mode so I could see what was loading.  I search for the filename on this forum where it was stopping (can't recall the file) and the recommendation i found in several places was to reinstall WHS.  So, I attempted a reinstall.  There was no reinstall option, so I had to do a fresh install.  I figured that this was no big deal, since I had wanted to do a new install anyways. 

I get the installation up and running and start attaching the old drives to shift everything over.  After a few drives, I get to a 2TB drive.  It shows up as not initialized and only reporting as 931GB instead of the expected ~1800.  I try the drive in another computer with the same result.  So i go to the next 2TB drive.  Same thing with this one.  So now i have 4TB of failed drives.  I managed to get the data off of the drives using GetDataBack for NTFS.  I spoke with Western Digital for about 90 minutes and they were at a complete loss as to what happened with the drives.  They issued an RMA so I'm covered there.  So I didn't lose very much, except about a week of time moving 5TB of data.

My question is, what happened?  Is there anything that I could have done to prevent this?  Why was "reinstall" not available?

Server specs:

2GB ram

Core 2 Duo e6750

10 drives totalling ~11TB, all files duplicated

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:33 PM

All replies

• Errr looks like your disks failed.  You pretty much wrote that yourself ;-) The reinstall option wasn't available because the metrics of your drives changes significantly that windows home server didn't recognise them as drives from a stroage pool.

Which model WD drives were these? I hope I don't have the same model, one I would not be worried about but two to fail in the exact same way at the same time indicates a problem with that particular batch or type of drive.

--
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:10 PM
  • WD20EADS 2.0TB SATA 32MB cache.  Build dates on the drives are 6 months apart.
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:16 PM
  • May be the same firmware.

Also saw another post on this. 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop/WD20EADS-00R6B0-Suddenly-Only-1TB/td-p/14662;jsessionid=B5950632EC27E4FF04F03B0224504E8E

You might want to swap one of your 2TB drives for a drive from another manufacturer.  I notice a lot of people like to favour 2,3,4 etc drives of the same make,model and even batch - but it terms of reliability it's a bad choice, personally I have 4 drives from different manfs of different sizes (one it makes it easier to idenitfty drives) so if there is a common fault with a particular model I know it's not going to be a problem with the other 3 drives.

--
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:50 PM