CRM 4.0 Calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone...

I have a question about the calendar in CRM 4. Currently, when looking at the Calendar, a user can see all the meetings of all other users. This is a great improvement from 3.0 since it allows a user to see what is going on in the company at a glance. It also makes it very easy to figure out the best time to shedule meetings.

However, the calendar does not show Phone Call activities or To-Do items. If we could see this information as well, we could be assured that a user (or users) is available at a given time.

Is there a way to make this information visible, or does it require a modification? Does such a modification already exist?

Thanks.

Al
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

from my understanding this behaviour is by design. Reasons

• Appointments and ServiceAppointments do have exact start and end date
    • PhoneCalls and Tasks do not. They are subject to self-organisation in many companies. They tend to have a due date but one never knows the exact timespan for the work to be done.

Showing those things directly on the board will require

• modification and
    • individual definition ( e.g. when to show your 20 phone calls, from the end date backwards ? )

An organisational solution could be: When you have an exact timespan for a task or phonecall, make them an appointment or pair them with an appointment. Trade-Off: You would have to manually manage two items or again: do modifications.

Kind regards,

Markus

Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

from my understanding this behaviour is by design. Reasons

• Appointments and ServiceAppointments do have exact start and end date
    • PhoneCalls and Tasks do not. They are subject to self-organisation in many companies. They tend to have a due date but one never knows the exact timespan for the work to be done.

Showing those things directly on the board will require

• modification and
    • individual definition ( e.g. when to show your 20 phone calls, from the end date backwards ? )

An organisational solution could be: When you have an exact timespan for a task or phonecall, make them an appointment or pair them with an appointment. Trade-Off: You would have to manually manage two items or again: do modifications.

Kind regards,

Markus

Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Markus,

Thanks for your answer. In the end, what we might do is the following:

When a user creates a phone call activity, a workflow will create a corresponding meeting activity. This way, we can see the phone call, with timespan and date in the Calendar. The subject of the meeting item will always be "Phone call."

In the activities list, we will customize the view so as not to show any meetings with the subject "Phone call." Thus users will only see the phone call activity, and not the meeting activity as well. This will prevent users from seeing 2 items per phone call... if you follow.

The drawback is, for every phone call record, we will have a meeting record as well. Thus our database will get bigger, faster.

Another option to consider is to make all phone calls as meetings with subject "Phone call." Only one record would be created then. Can you think of any drawbacks or side effects of this strategy?

Al
    Friday, March 14, 2008 1:14 PM
  • Hi Al,

yes, unfortunately you will either face the redundancy issue ( where workflow is a good idea and approach ) or you will not be able to use the phone call functionality ( reporting etc ) if you use meeting-objects instead.

I would prefer the first solution. Remember to propagate state changes (statecode) and deletions along the lifecycle of your phone calls. You can easily reuse your workflow-infrastructure for that scenario.

Kind regards,

Markus

Monday, March 17, 2008 2:15 PM
  • Hi Alex,

This question is related to above post and the requirement that I have is similar.

I am looking for Calendar View in CRM 4, this should server the purpose of an office or organization(around 50 users), users should be able to enter the activities, all the activities should be displayed in calendar(default current Month).

Any user should be able to go to this calendar and have a glance of activities/meetings with in the office for current month.

I could not find calendar that you are talking about in CRM 4, can you please help me with this.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:12 PM