none
Deleting post increases numbers of posts RRS feed

• Question

• I cleaned some of my posts which were not relevent to user questions sometime ago, today I was just looking at my profile, number of posts were much more than they should be, being little curious, I posted 3 replies and checked back again, number of posts did not increase, I deleted those recentely posted replies and checked back again, it increased by 3!

Before posting 3 replies, stats
    • Sunday, June 15, 2008
    • Thursday, April 09, 2009

• After posting 3 replies
      • 2210   'here it should be 2213!
      • Sunday, June 15, 2008

After deleting those 3
      2213    'Now it should get back to 2210 but not
      • Sunday, June 15, 2008

I had interval of 10 minutes between them, I will check again whether number of posts gets down later, but I dont think it gets down coz I had deleted around 30+ posts last week just to make thread cleaner, but number of post did not get less

My about  page link is

Arjun Paudel
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:24 PM

Answers

• Arjun, I took a quick look at your issue and confirmed it. It's a fairly simple bug in the SP that sum's up the posts not excluding deleted. A bug has been logged and it should make it in to the April release.

Hans, I also looked at the issue you pointed out and confirmed. It's actually an edge case that happened because pretty much ALL of that users posts were deleted in ALL forums. So what ended up happening is the SP in this case correctly filtered out all of the deleted messages, but that resulted in 0 rows so nothing was joined to in the update. For most users, this wouldn't occur since they typically have some amount of posts in the forum. In any case, it's logged and hopefully we can get it in this release.

The other issue I think you are alluding to, that he actually has any My Threads will be part of the release. The fix has already been done. Though we still need to write an batch update to clean up the current data.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    • Marked as answer by Arjun Paudel Friday, April 10, 2009 6:55 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:02 AM

All replies

• It seems number of posts gets added when posted after sometime, but does not get subtracted when deleted.
    Arjun Paudel
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Yup.  Another good example is this spammer whose posts and threads have been deleted.  Recog points are bogus too of course.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Arjun, I took a quick look at your issue and confirmed it. It's a fairly simple bug in the SP that sum's up the posts not excluding deleted. A bug has been logged and it should make it in to the April release.

Hans, I also looked at the issue you pointed out and confirmed. It's actually an edge case that happened because pretty much ALL of that users posts were deleted in ALL forums. So what ended up happening is the SP in this case correctly filtered out all of the deleted messages, but that resulted in 0 rows so nothing was joined to in the update. For most users, this wouldn't occur since they typically have some amount of posts in the forum. In any case, it's logged and hopefully we can get it in this release.

The other issue I think you are alluding to, that he actually has any My Threads will be part of the release. The fix has already been done. Though we still need to write an batch update to clean up the current data.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    • Marked as answer by Arjun Paudel Friday, April 10, 2009 6:55 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Thank you very much Hans :)  for showing good example that provides clean image of the problem.

Rob, Thanks for looking at the issue, very appreciated. I will close this thread since I am pretty sure it will be addressed in April Release.

Arjun Paudel
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:55 AM