Windows Xp pro sp2 oem activation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Well, have just done a fresh install of windows xp pro sp2 oem for the 5th time and everything seems to have gone well. GRRR

I have just activated the product, but when I enter my password to log on it brings up,

This copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log on, Do you want to activate now ?

So I have hit yes and low and behold it says,

Windows was unable to activate online. The activation period has expired. You must activate you computer now to continue using windows, and do it by phone.

Now Ive reinstalled a few times and played with a few bios settings thinking its just a hiccup, and now its case of what to do next ?

Can anyone help? or come accross this before.

All the best Fubar-Perth

Sunday, June 8, 2008 2:39 PM

Answers

•  

Fubar_perth,

If you are receiving the error "...the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded" while trying to Activation over the Internet, please see the below information as Carey has mentioned in the post above: 

You are permitted to reinstall and activate XP as many times as you want to, as long as your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  After a certain number of activations within a certain time period, automatic online activation will be suspended (This will also happen the first time you re-install and activate some OEM versions of Windows XP), which will require that you do a Telephone Activation. To do so, rerun the Activate Windows Wizard and select "Activate my product using the telephone".  Follow the phone prompts.

If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option.  The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If this is confirmed, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

I hope this has helped

Lori MS

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:37 PM

All replies

• You need to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Sunday, June 8, 2008 5:26 PM
  •  

Fubar_perth,

If you are receiving the error "...the number of times you can activate Windows with this product key has been exceeded" while trying to Activation over the Internet, please see the below information as Carey has mentioned in the post above: 

You are permitted to reinstall and activate XP as many times as you want to, as long as your use of XP maintains compliance with the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).  After a certain number of activations within a certain time period, automatic online activation will be suspended (This will also happen the first time you re-install and activate some OEM versions of Windows XP), which will require that you do a Telephone Activation. To do so, rerun the Activate Windows Wizard and select "Activate my product using the telephone".  Follow the phone prompts.

If the automated telephone activation is not accepted, you will be offered the option to speak with a live activation representative.  Choose that option.  The rep will ask a few questions for the purpose of confirming that you are still using your license for XP in accordance with the EULA.  If this is confirmed, the rep will issue an activation code for you to enter into the Activation Wizard.

I hope this has helped

Lori MS

Monday, June 9, 2008 11:37 PM