How to run automatic workflow as the User that triggers it RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a special entity type that has fields for multiple opportunities on the form. So users go and fill out all the fields and then when they click Save, an automatic workflow runs and creates individual opportunity records out of the fields that they entered.

The problem is, since it's an automatic workflow, and I am the owner, all the opportunities that are created show that they were created by me instead of the user that triggered the workflow. What alteration can I make in order to cause the workflow to fire from the user that triggers it. Do I have to trigger with javascript? Does anyone have examples? Thanks for the help!

John

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 1:31 PM

All replies

• Would adding a step to change the owner of the opportunity that is created to be the same as the owner of the special entity type work?

Keep the workflow automatic, use an Assign Record step on the opportunity (created by the workflow) and set the owner to a dynamic value of the owner of the special entity.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:19 PM
  • That is what I am doing now. Its causing issues though because occasionally opps and activities will be automatically assigned to the owner of the Account, and the owner of the account does not always match who created the opp. Consequently, I have an opp that shows that I (the owner of the workflow) created, and it is owned by the owner of the Account (which is not the person who created the Opp).Is there some way that I set the workflow to OnDemand and then fire it with JavaScript in order to show that the person trigerring it is the Created By?

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:22 PM
  • Yes I believe it is possible, if you search on this topic you will find various suggestions. But I haven't tried any of these .

Would it work if you set the owner of the opportunities to the Modified By value of the special entity rather than the Owner?  My thinking is that if a change to the special entity is triggering the change, then you know who made the change because the Modified By will be set to that person.

Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:24 AM