Cannot remove backup drive RRS feed

• Question

• Backup of WhS  works great for me except for one detail - I cannot remove the hard drive! 

Details:  Have a WHS server that has been working great.  Added a removable drive bay with a SATA hard drive.  System recognized the drive and I added it as a backup drive (not to the pool).  Backups of the folders works fine and is very quick.  Right clicking on the drive I can get to remove the drive and selected that option.  Now here's where things go wrong.  I cannot select the option to temporarily remove the drive - only the permanent remove option can be selected.  The only thing that I can do to make it safely work is to turn of caching of the drive and then use the power switch on the bay to turn off the drive.

It is also clear by using admin functions that this drive is not being recognized as or can be set as a removable drive.

Am I doing something wrong here or is this a software bug?
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:06 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure I would call it a bug. Windows depends on hardware and drivers to identify if a given drive is removable, and it's pretty common for a SATA controller to identify all connected drives as internal, even if one or more drives are connected using eSATA (which isn't the case here; your drive actually is internal). Internal drives aren't regarded as "removable", so you don't get the option to remove it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:45 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure I would call it a bug. Windows depends on hardware and drivers to identify if a given drive is removable, and it's pretty common for a SATA controller to identify all connected drives as internal, even if one or more drives are connected using eSATA (which isn't the case here; your drive actually is internal). Internal drives aren't regarded as "removable", so you don't get the option to remove it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:45 AM
  • Ken, fully agree with you about the state of drivers and removable drives.  This even includes write buffering problems and failures that can occur when a drive is prematurely ejected.

However, what is really different with WHS is that there is a pop up asking what you want to do with a drive when its found.  And one option is to use a new drive as a backup.  I really like the way this all works, by the way.  So here's the rub - why would you mount a backup drive that is not removable? It would be really nice to have the option to indicate that this is a removable device at this point, particularly since most of the work has already been done to implement such a feature.  Once that is done, it would be easy to have the remove pop up check to see if it is a removable drive and, if so, allow you temporarily remove the drive instead of forcing you to permanently delete it.  The last step is to simply flush the buffers and let you know that you can remove the drive.

This would be really slick and beat most implementations on various operating systems by a whole bunch.  It is also something which I think the WHS team would really want to use in their marketing.

Right now I'm left with using an add on to back up my WHS to a Linux server, which I then have to back up to a removable disk.  And, by the way, I use the same type of removable tray in the Linux system and it works just fine.  But not a fine as the above approach would work!

Bottom line is that this all causes enough grief that I'm seriously considering moving everything to Linux and deinstalling the WHS server.  It has all of the features of WHS.  The one exception was the backup of the notebooks we use.  This past weekend I found and tested a utility under Linux that works just fine.

All in all, I would rather keep the WHS system.  That said, I'm not going to wait long for a solution when I have a good alternative and these tray systems are the fastest and easiest backup solutions around.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:47 PM
  • So here's the rub - why would you mount a backup drive that is not removable?
    If one of your external drives was located in a fire/flood proof enclosure.

You can always powerdown the system and remove the backup drive.
    --
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Finally got tired of waiting for a solution and moved all files to a Linux server.  Also, there are good alternatives out there for automated backup of Windows client systems which I have working fine.  Used the Amahi implementation and found that streaming media is quicker and works better.  Also much better photo handling, plus full compatibility with iTunes.  Lastly the backup system works fine on identical hardware with some neat backup software.  Lastly, the cost of making the changes is great - $0!

Still have the WHS running but if I need the hardware for another use it will blown away and reused.

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:38 PM