OLAP: Is it possible to ? RRS feed

• Question

• Bonjour,

My question:  Is it possible to build a view that is mixing :

*  Two olap cubes (thus creating a new view from them) ?

* A cube and some fields from the reporting database ?

And if yes, where do I start looking?

Monday, July 25, 2011 12:53 PM

Answers

• Hi ST EX,

Which cubes do you want to combine? As some of the cubes (like the OLAP_Portfolio_Analyzer cube) are already virtual cubes combining multiple cubes. (see the schemas in the SDK for full schemas of the different cubes)

What fields from the reporting database do you want to add to the cube? You can configure the OLAP cube in Server Settings to include custom fields (only single value custom fields with a lookup table). Some custom fields can also be added as measures. And you can add your own calculated measures using MDX.

If this does not fit your needs, I'm afraid your only option is to build your own cube from scratch.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:36 PM
  • To add to Hans.H comments.  I would not tweak any of the cubes that project server provide.  When I did in the past, it broke them.  Never found a good reason but suspect there is some sanity hash.  That was in the PS2007 days, so maybe it is better now.

I ended using copying my cubes to a different area and tweeking them, then used ETL to popluate.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:53 PM

All replies

• Hi ST EX,

Which cubes do you want to combine? As some of the cubes (like the OLAP_Portfolio_Analyzer cube) are already virtual cubes combining multiple cubes. (see the schemas in the SDK for full schemas of the different cubes)

What fields from the reporting database do you want to add to the cube? You can configure the OLAP cube in Server Settings to include custom fields (only single value custom fields with a lookup table). Some custom fields can also be added as measures. And you can add your own calculated measures using MDX.

If this does not fit your needs, I'm afraid your only option is to build your own cube from scratch.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:36 PM
  • To add to Hans.H comments.  I would not tweak any of the cubes that project server provide.  When I did in the past, it broke them.  Never found a good reason but suspect there is some sanity hash.  That was in the PS2007 days, so maybe it is better now.

I ended using copying my cubes to a different area and tweeking them, then used ETL to popluate.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, July 25, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Thanks.  I really beleive what is said here.  I felt that I had an obligation to ask because I have customers that are asking recurrently.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Sometimes it is easier and healthier to create a view in SQL, and then just use Excel Services to get the data you require.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 12:53 PM
  • To add onto that,  you can open an excel report or template and manually edit the select statement in the data connection definition area.  The projects and tasks excel template already has the project and task userview tables joined in the definition file.  That would be a good place to start looking unless you know how to write sql queries.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:09 PM