gps RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the antenna that came with the 2008 version on my 2013 download and it works fine.  However, the cable is frayed.  Does microsoft sell the antenna by itself?  Will it increase performance?
    Friday, November 30, 2012 11:52 AM

All replies

• Any NMEA 0183 compatible receiver with Windows drivers should work.

I use a "BU-353" which I've found very good (even works indoors to some extent). This is a magnetic puck design with a fairly long cable.

Performance does vary between different receivers. Generally the newer ones are better and include better chip sets (others can quote the SIRF chip numbers - I haven't kept up with it). These do  a better job under less than ideal conditions (cities, indoors, trees,etc)

Some versions of S&T/MapPoint have shipped with a USB-stick shaped receiver, but some people have found the laptop will interfere with the GPS signals - they then need to buy a USB extension cable to separate the receiver and the laptop. This isn't a problem with the BU-353 or the receiver you have.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

• Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Monday, December 3, 2012 4:59 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 1:54 PM
  • Have a look at "u-blox" gps receivers:

http://www.u-blox.de/en/about-us.html

Look for a gps mouse "u-blox" with anti jamming and buy it from eBay or your local dealer. Last year I bought an u-blox 5 usb mouse for about 25 €. works fine. receiving 8, 9, 10 satellites under all circumstances outdoor!

Friday, November 30, 2012 8:36 PM