Do parametric sweep tasks always run on the same node ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using HPC 2012 R2 version 4.5.5161.0
    On one of our test clusters I ran a parametric sweep task with 11 instances.
    It may be because the cluster is quite small (4 machines) but it looks to me like all of the tasks from the sweep are running on the same machine.
    Also, I do not know if this may change the behavior, but the job containing the parametric sweep also contains a node preparation task.

Is that always the case or the tasks can run on different machines (if there is enough capacity) ? Is this a configuration option on the scheduler ?

Thanks
    Candide
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi

How many cores on your node? The scheduler by default will fill the cores from one node, and then next node. If you have more than 11 cores on the node, your task will run on one node.

Noe preparation task is just let your job to do node level preparation when a new node assigned to your job for task execution

Qiufang Shi

• Marked as answer by cguevaramari Monday, October 22, 2018 2:19 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2018 5:12 AM

All replies

• Hi

How many cores on your node? The scheduler by default will fill the cores from one node, and then next node. If you have more than 11 cores on the node, your task will run on one node.

Noe preparation task is just let your job to do node level preparation when a new node assigned to your job for task execution

Qiufang Shi

• Marked as answer by cguevaramari Monday, October 22, 2018 2:19 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2018 5:12 AM
  • You are right, we have 32 cores per machine.
    When running the workload during high load of the cluster I see they are dispatched to several machines.
    Thanks
    Monday, October 22, 2018 2:23 PM