Sharing with TV? RRS feed

• Question

• My TV can see my Windows Home Server. When I try to look at pictures, music, or video, though, I see a folder on the TV that says DLNA/Video but it's empty.

Where do I physically copy the files on my home server to make them viewable on the television? I assumed it would be the "Video" folder, but it's not.

Thanks
    Friday, November 28, 2008 10:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• What TV are you using?

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Friday, November 28, 2008 11:16 PM
  • Boaster01 said:

My TV can see my Windows Home Server. When I try to look at pictures, music, or video, though, I see a folder on the TV that says DLNA/Video but it's empty.

Where do I physically copy the files on my home server to make them viewable on the television? I assumed it would be the "Video" folder, but it's not.

Thanks

First, you need to set up Media Sharing on your server (if you haven't done it already) by opening the Console and clicking the Settings button > Media Sharing tab > then selecting On for whichever shares you want it on.  Once you've done that, it should just work.

What file types are you trying to share?
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:18 AM
  • I have a Samsung LCD.

I was thinking of turning on Media Sharing, but I want to be sure that doing that will only share within my network. I don't want to inadvertently open my music or video collection to the entire internet.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 6:17 AM
  • As long as the Windows Firewall is enabled on the Windows Home Server with default settings and the router does not forward any other ports than those needed for Remote Access, the content of media folders will be accessible only for devices within your network and for authenticated users.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 8:33 AM
  • I too am having the same problem.  My Samsung LCD LN52A860 "sees" my Windows Home Server on the network, it even "sees" the folders on the server but will not display pictures, video or music files.  I DO have sharing enabled on my WHS Console, and other devices like my PS3 are able to stream pics, video and music no problem.  I have read elsewhere on the net that Samsung has implemented a proprietory DLNA stack which will only work with Windows PCs that have the Samsung PC Share Manager software installed (available on the CD or Samsung support download).  If that is the case, I am quite disappointed since I thought the DLNA standard was suppost to be universally shared among different devices.

My next steps will be to:
    1. update firmware on LCD to version .1004.0
    2. install the Samsung PC Share Manager on my WHS (compatibility uncertain?)

Anyone additional ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

ciao
    Friday, December 19, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Friday, December 19, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Did it work? I am planning to buy a Samsung LCD and I want to make sure it works with WHS.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Umm, not sure it will work with anything. You can look at the forum and see what others are experiencing. Sometimes it works, most of the time not. The TV may work with WMP11. Maybe.
    http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=321535&tag=forum-w;forums06

Ben
    Ben Ogilvie
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:40 PM
  • Note that Windows Home Server doesn't support DLNA. It uses Windows Media Connect 2.0 for streaming, so your TV would need to support one of the formats that WMC is capable of delivering. It also supports direct reads from the file shares; this may require specific configuration on your server (things like turning on the Guest account with no password or creating a specific account with a specific password) which is hopefully documented in the manual for your remote device.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 3:28 PM
  • I have a Samsung LN52B750 and have been successful streaming from my WHS to the TV using PC Share Manager 2.1 with no issues.  However, the problem I have is not the TV finding the server, but being able to refresh the database in PC Share.  It worked fine until I added more video files to the share folder.  Now, when I choose which folders to stream, and try to refresh, the program never finishes and locks up.

For the life of me I can't figure out why it worked that first time (streamed .mkv, .avi, and .jpg flawessly) and as soon as a few more video files were added, it will not refresh without stopping in the middle.  I have tried reinstalling on different drives, changing folders, etc. and now nothing works. 

When the Samsung software tries to update on the PC (server), something is not compatible like it would be in XP or Vista.  I just don't know what.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:24 PM
  • For devices that aren't MC extenders you need to enable the guest account on WHS.
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:53 PM
  • I have the guest account active with ability to share media.  However, this doesn't seem to matter.  I'm to the point to where PC Share will update if only pictures and documents.  But when I add on video as a share, and try to update, it has problems and locks up.  My conclusion right now is the amount of data is too big for that procedure to be ran.  Not sure if it is a limitation with WHS or PC Share.  I'm assuming PC Share works fine with XP and Vista so it must be something with WHS. 

I'm going to try and add video in segments to minimize the size of data needing to be refreshed.  Not sure this will act any different but I'm out of ideas.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:56 AM
  • In reply to Samsung TV only playing files from PC Share Manager......this is not true.  If you install Java PS3 Media Player on your WHS the TV will see and play the files.  Only problem is there are more incompatibilities with file types, from what I have experienced, over the Samsung software.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:04 AM
    But when I add on video as a share, and try to update, it has problems and locks up.  My conclusion right now is the amount of data is too big for that procedure to be ran.  Not sure if it is a limitation with WHS or PC Share.  I'm assuming PC Share works fine with XP and Vista so it must be something with WHS. 

I'm going to try and add video in segments to minimize the size of data needing to be refreshed.  Not sure this will act any different but I'm out of ideas.
    My guess would be a corrupt file, or one with a codec (or codec version, or embedded metatag) that PC Share is having a problem with. Your plan to add videos a few at a time will (hopefully) let you identify the one causing the problem, if that's the case.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 3:24 AM
  • I have verified that one of the movie files was causing PC Share to not refresh.  Not sure why since it was processed the same as other movies I did. 

Anyways, I am successfully running PC Share Manager on my WHS and streaming video, music, and photos to TV with zero problems.  Watched two full movies on it in HD with no hiccups whatsoever.  I did enable the guest account but not sure this is necessary considering it worked before with it disabled.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 8:38 PM