Home Server Connector Frustrations RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased the ACER Home Server recently (Dec. 09) and have had difficulty setting it up properly.  After countless hours (days) I am hoping the forum can assist.  My problem is similar to others reported but the solutions posted have not worked.

The Home server setup was a breeze and the console installed with no problem.  I can access the server from 4 different PCs using normal Windows Explorer interface... again, no problem.  However, I can not configure backups because the Home Server Connector will not install on ANY machine.  I receive a message about requiring to install an upgrade because there is a new version available.  Clicking "upgrade" quickly gets me the "the operation can not be completed at this time".

Option 2 was to install directly from the software directory on the server.  It installs but then immediately asks me to perform an upgrade and I get the same error.

Option 3 is to use IE8 and try the download from the http://<server name>:55000 page.  Clicking "Download Now" results in a new open with a "You are not authorized to view this page" error and a bunch of stuff...  HTTP Error 401.3  Access is denied due to an ACL set on the requested resouce... etc.

Option 4 is to install from the factory CD that came with the server and I receive the same "operation can not be completed at this time" error.

I ran the Windows Home Server Tool kit and it tells me (wait for it) that I have a version discrepancy between the Home Server Connector software on the server and the client PC.  Gee thanks!  You have to laugh at this because I KNOW the obvious issue but can not get it to resolve.  Ha ha.

FYI, the version of the software on the server is 6.0.2423.0 across the board.  The Home Connector software version listed in Control Panel is 6.0.2030.2.

Any assistance in trying to resolve would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:48 AM

All replies

• Hmm. Could be network problem (name resolution problem caused by incorrect configuration DNS servers in DHCP). Please try to physically disconnect your modem from the internet, then try again.  If this doesn't help you can try:

1. On a client logon as a user with Administator priviliges
    2. Uninstall the connector software
    3. Reboot client, logon, again with Administrator priviliges
    4. Try installing the connector from http://yourservername:55000
    5. If it fails again repeat steps 1 - 3, then
    6. Copy the folder "Home Server Connector Software" from the software share on your server to the client
    7. Now try reinstall from that folder. There may be multiple executables in this folder, I don't know which is the correct one to choose for the Acer. If there's a setup.exe I would start with that one. If it fails repeat steps 1-3 above, then try another executable in the same folder.
    8 If it still doesn't work I tink your best option is to do a server recovery. This should preserve data in shares, however all other post install changes will be lost
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:04 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I tried all of your steps and finally made some progress after starting over as you suggested.  I did a server recovery back to factory settings.  The only change I made this time was to disable "automatic updates".  Everything installed fine, including 3 different PCs backing up successfully.  However, the software version being displayed in the Server Console is 6.0.1800.0.  Is that Power Pack 1?  I am reluctant to change anything because my PCs can connect and I have successfully ran a manual backup.  Any thoughts on how best to upgrade the software safely?  Recall that the server console software was updated via automatic updates but I could not install the server connector software on any PC because of various errors.  The discrepancy in versions left me to seek help in the forum.

Thanks again.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:59 PM
  • I have an Acer H340 Home Server. I have done restores to the factory configuration for various reasons. The disk does restore the server to service pack 1. Some of the things I've found are:

1. If your network name is not configured to be the default "workgroup" it is best to use the "remote desktop connection" to change the server network workgroup name to the workgroup name that is being used .
    2. It will take at least 2 upgrades to get to service pack 3. The server has to be updated to servive pack 2 before it will upgrade to service pack 3. There will also be a lot of other updates for the server. The server will do one long reboot after each group of updates are downloaded. There won't be any communication to the connectors until the reboot is completed.
    3. The connector software will have to be updated at least one time. The old connector software must be uninstalled before installing the new software.
    4. I've always used Windows Explorer to update the connector software to my PCs. I look for the server under network connections. Then go to the software folder. I've waited to completely update my server before installing the connector software on the other computers.
    5. Even though using the remote desktop connection is not supported, you will need to learn to use it if you ever want to remove the McAfee software (Acer didn't install the software as an add-in) or to get rid of some constant error messages like the constant CqvSvc.exe application warnings (you'll see other links about this problem).

After eliminating some of the extra software from my Acer so it is  closer to the standard server configuration, I'm happy with the server.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Thanks.... this is helpful.  One question about the upgrade of the connectors directly from the server using Windows Explorer rather than Internet Explorer.  May be a silly question but does the connector software on the server get updated once the server is upgraded?  OR.. is the original version from the factory default still there?

Did you perform your upgrade from turning on automatic updates for the server?  Should the connector software on the PCs be uninstalled prior to performing the service pack upgrades?

Thanks again!
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Some time ago I have tested H340, and also ran into some minor problems/annoyances (it's Acers first home server). Before installing the first client I first made sure the server was up to date. Then I installed the clients from http://servername:55000. I didn't encounter any problems there.

As for automatic updates, I strongly advise you to turn them on. A lot of bugs have been fixed since PP1, and you will definitely run into one or more if you don't update. The connector software on the server get's upgraded automatically. I have a few clients set to upgrade connector automatically and a few to manual. Both options work flawlessly for me. Normally there is no need to uninstall the connector software from the clients before upgrading

So my advise to you now would be to update your server (will require multiple rounds of updates to get to PP3), then upgrade connector software on the clients. I would also uninstall connector software from one client to check if the problem is in the upgrade. If you still have problems upgrading the connector we may need to investigate further.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:18 AM