Problems removing a hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to remove a hard drive from my system.  The wizard went through the first part okay where it says there is enough space.  Now it looks as if the process may have hung as the dialog box title says "Remove a hard drive" but the rest of the box is now all blank.

I have seen this once before - I can't remember what I did - I think I tried to kill the offending process and then perhaps rebooted.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any advice on how to proceed.

FYI - I am trying to remove a 1TB hard drive but it was only 17% full.  This has been going on for several hours - the last time this happened I left it overnight so I don't think it is an issue of just taking a long time with no screen updates, but I guess that is not impossibel. 
    • Changed type kariya21Moderator Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:38 AM technical question
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 12:24 AM

All replies

• wayner9 said:

I am trying to remove a hard drive from my system.  The wizard went through the first part okay where it says there is enough space.  Now it looks as if the process may have hung as the dialog box title says "Remove a hard drive" but the rest of the box is now all blank.

I have seen this once before - I can't remember what I did - I think I tried to kill the offending process and then perhaps rebooted.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any advice on how to proceed.

FYI - I am trying to remove a 1TB hard drive but it was only 17% full.  This has been going on for several hours - the last time this happened I left it overnight so I don't think it is an issue of just taking a long time with no screen updates, but I guess that is not impossibel. 

First, do you have Folder Duplication on all shares?

You could try rebooting the server (although I would wait a little longer if it was me).  If worse comes to worse, you could shut down the server and disconnect the drive while it's off.  You will no doubt get a whole bunch of File Conflict errors (because the files are no longer there).
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:40 AM