Can I use the Windows Genuine Online Kit in place of a Retail version? RRS feed

• Question

• After purchasing a MSDN key, and a high quality fake, I would like to make my version genuine. The offer for the WGA kit is pretty good, and I would like to know if I could use it in place of buying the retail version. I am aware that there are restrictions on it, what would they be?
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 11:33 PM

Answers

• Hello mwm695,

At last report, the WGA Kit license has a supplemental set of Software Licensing Terms that states the WGA license is valid only on the computer that previously had the nongenuine Windows installation and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

This is a departure from the SLTs for full retail Windows license, which can be moved from one computer to another.

Microsoft recently made a lot of changes to the Genuine Advantage program.  Can you verify that after your installation of Windows failed validation, you were offered an opportunity to purchase a WGA Kit?  If so, what are the prices quoted?

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hello mwm695,

At last report, the WGA Kit license has a supplemental set of Software Licensing Terms that states the WGA license is valid only on the computer that previously had the nongenuine Windows installation and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

This is a departure from the SLTs for full retail Windows license, which can be moved from one computer to another.

Microsoft recently made a lot of changes to the Genuine Advantage program.  Can you verify that after your installation of Windows failed validation, you were offered an opportunity to purchase a WGA Kit?  If so, what are the prices quoted?

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:43 AM
  • The kit offered was 199.99 for ultimate. 

I built my system, would I have to buy a completely new copy of I do an upgrade? What about a complete upgrade? 

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:21 PM
  • You would need a Windows 7 "Full Version" license.  Upgrade licenses can only be used if you have a qualifying genuine Windows XP or Windows Vista operating system installed.  A non-genuine Windows 7 license only qualifies for the WGA Kit.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, January 7, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Well, hopefully by the time i'm due for an upgrade a newer version of Windows will be out.
    Friday, January 7, 2011 7:33 PM
  • "mwm695" wrote in message news:82d3e477-aa71-4054-8b39-16880e70c2ec...
    Well, hopefully by the time i'm due for an upgrade a newer version of Windows will be out.

I wouldn't place bets on that being any time much before Xmas 2012 :)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, January 7, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I am Perfectly alright with that.
    Friday, January 7, 2011 7:48 PM