Redeploying CRM 4.0 - How to Redeploy a CRM 4.0 DB from one Domain to another RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have a database that was for company (A) and want to Redeploy the database in a new Domain ...still for company(A).

Is there still a Redeployment Tool like for CRM 3.0.

We have restored the databases on the new server.... 

When running the installation, it gets to the part where it checks the system requirements etc,,,,, then gets to the Active Directory section and gives a red cross saying that the Active Directory GUID does not exist.

We chose the option to connect to an existing DB on the server,,,,,,  so is it not supposed to re-create the GUIDs if they don't exist?

Thank You

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:47 PM

Answers

•  

Use the CRM 4.0 Deployment Manager - the idea is the same as in 3.0 but the process is different.

Let's start from scratch.  In your new domain, prepare the infrastructure, i.e. get SQL Server, AD set up,  decide which server CRM is to go on etc.

Take a backup of your original company A's database in SQL, restore that backup to the new SQL server.

Now install CRM 4.0 on the server in the new domain. Do not choose an existing organisation/database, install a new organisation. Doesn't matter what it is called but it musn't be called the name that you finally want to use; you'll ditch this organisation later on.

Once CRM 4 is installed successfully, go to the Deployment manager and select import organisation. Follow the wizard, it will make you select the SQL database for the company that you restored earlier on and take you through steps that were similar to the redeployment tool in CRM 3.0. Once this is done, mark the newly imported organisation as the default, disable the other one that was created in the install and perhaps delete it as well. If you have a workgroup or professional licence the organisation created during installation will automatically be disabled.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:53 PM

All replies

• yes you can check redeployment tool and PDF (help file).

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:11 PM
  •  

Use the CRM 4.0 Deployment Manager - the idea is the same as in 3.0 but the process is different.

Let's start from scratch.  In your new domain, prepare the infrastructure, i.e. get SQL Server, AD set up,  decide which server CRM is to go on etc.

Take a backup of your original company A's database in SQL, restore that backup to the new SQL server.

Now install CRM 4.0 on the server in the new domain. Do not choose an existing organisation/database, install a new organisation. Doesn't matter what it is called but it musn't be called the name that you finally want to use; you'll ditch this organisation later on.

Once CRM 4 is installed successfully, go to the Deployment manager and select import organisation. Follow the wizard, it will make you select the SQL database for the company that you restored earlier on and take you through steps that were similar to the redeployment tool in CRM 3.0. Once this is done, mark the newly imported organisation as the default, disable the other one that was created in the install and perhaps delete it as well. If you have a workgroup or professional licence the organisation created during installation will automatically be disabled.

Hope this helps.

Monday, February 25, 2008 4:53 PM
  • My word..!!

Will try it defenitely. Was hoping that this was not the process to follow.

Not sure why a Redeployment method was not introduced to make this process quicker, easier?

A Redeployment method during the installation process could have made things a lot quicker.

It creates a kinda double process now.

What we generally do is that we start with a  client's installation onsite..... do customisations. Then for future customisation we get the data, redeploy on a Dev system and then so do customisations remotely and sending back the updates.

The previous Redeploy method already was a long process. Now in CRM 4 it is kinda worse.

But I will try it as you explained... thank You for quick response Smile

Regards,

Otto

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:10 PM
  •  Otto Beekman wrote:

My word..!!

Will try it defenitely. Was hoping that this was not the process to follow.

Not sure why a Redeployment method was not introduced to make this process quicker, easier?

It may have something to do with dealing with multiple organisations in the Enterprise edition.

Otto Beekman wrote:

But I will try it as you explained... thank You for quick response

Regards,

Otto

You are most welcome.

I'd be delighted if someone could suggest a simpler method.

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Started with the procedure.....

Installed CRM 4.0 ( Clean Install )

Attached the old DB ....

Used the Redeployment Manager to Import the Company.

In a way this method actually makes sense.....  allowing you to import as many companies at any point... without the need to re-install the current CRM system the whole time..... Multitenancy is Great ! ( Enterprise version of course )

Busy with the Importing of Users and mapping sequence.

Hopefully all will complete and system will just work...

Thanks

Monday, February 25, 2008 5:31 PM
  •  

The Redeployment worked.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:13 AM
  •  Otto Beekman wrote:

The Redeployment worked.

Great news.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 7:20 AM
  • I assume the length of the Import Organization process is dependent on the size and number of records in the *_MSCRM database.  I'm running the tool and it's been a "Update Users" for a good two hours.  My database is 42 gb (lots of pdf attachements) and has ~372K activity records with only 10 users.

Is this unusual?  I'll leave the process running overnight and hope I don't get a SQL time out error in the morning.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:01 PM
  •  

I would say that 42G is a little unusual for just 10 users.  Even with attachments say at 2M each that's over 20,000 attachments.

The import tool has got to look at every record in the system, I guess to see if any changes need to be made.

How long did the process take?

Saturday, June 21, 2008 12:33 PM
  • The process took 4 hours and it worked just fine.  I have begun to look for ways to cut out the clutter (unneeded records) and reduce the db size.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Hello Feridun,

I'm about to do something similar and just want to ask you the reason why you don't choose connect to existing database when you install CRM and rather so it after the installation?

Thanks!

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:24 AM
  •  

Good question. Actually I don't remember why not!

What you suggest makes more sense than my original post. Perhaps I thought that the redeployment part wouldn't happen at install time.

Try it and let us know!

Monday, August 18, 2008 8:29 AM
  •  

I'm about to restore live CRM4 data onto a test server on the same domain as live.  When I installed CRM Server onto test app server I figured that connecting to existing instance (the test db server) would create a conflict within the domain once installed.  Is that true?  Or is IIS already hardened with the test URL?

Plan now is to import organization name once CRM Server is installed then restore the live data to test database.  Does this method make sense?

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Hello Maatthias,

Don't select connect to existing, then it'll fail. Just install it with a new org name (an org name you're not going to use) and then import organization afterwards in the deployment manager. After that you can delete the installation org you created.

There's a good description here:

http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2008/05/20/15540.aspx

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:25 PM
  •  

Thanks for the quick response dnort.

I'm importing the org now and it's been running for over an hour.  Seems to be dragging on "Update Users...".  It seems to be adversely affecting live environment for end users (slowness and timeouts).  The database is ~18 GB with 5 million records in Account table.  If I were to cancel would you expect any corruption on live?

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:16 PM
  •  

Also I should've been clear that I have not restored production CRM database to this test environment yet.  I assumed that was final step.  Perhaps org import would've been quicker had I done that first?  Will it ultimately fail now?

Thanks for the help.

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:20 PM
  •  

Yes, I believe you should have restored the DB before importing the organization.
    Monday, September 29, 2008 7:55 AM
  • Hello

nice conversation! thanks! Although the topic with "another domain" is wrong, it is the same content:

My task:

Redeploy the Live Environment to Test Environment

My situation:

2 Environments: Live and Test, both with the same Organization, different Servers, different SQL Server, same domain

My question:

How do I move / copy my Live environ. the best to have an exact copy in test?

Can I just rename the Test Organization, e.g. to Org2 and then Import / Restore the Live-DB to my Test-SQL? then Import Org on Test?

What is the best process to do such a task?

Thanks

Martin

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:01 PM
  • See this KB...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/KB952934

Specifically the section entitled "Redeploy the Microsoft Dynamics CRM deployment that includes the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server within the same domain or to another domain"

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:21 PM
  • Schuler,
    You should backup production database org_MSCRM and restore on test SQL server. If you just select import you will change you will change the production database. Choose import when you have restored the DB and connect to that one instead. Remember to first rename the restored database to match the name of the new org, e.g. TestOrg - TestOrg_MSCRM. 
    Monday, January 12, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot! I think this is it to about 98%...Thanks!

My situation is like this:

TEST ENVIRONMENT:

CRM Server: Organization: MYORG

SQL: MSCRM_Config, MYORG_MSCRM

PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT:

CRM Server: Organization: MYORG

SQL: MSCRM_Config, MYORG_MSCRM

As you can see...the organizations in Test and Production are the same.

My idea right now:

I just delete the MYORG Organization with Deployment Manager and delete the MYORG_MSCRM database on the Test Environment and restore the MYORG_MSCRM from the Production in the Test Environment. Then I use Deployment Manager of the Test environment to Import the MYORG (originally from Production).

Will this work?

I would like to avoid to re-install the whole CRM Server, as it is running quite good right now!

Thank you

Martin

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:38 AM
  •  

Good, but I don't think your'e able to delete an org in Deployment Manager. If you're using Professional edition the current org will be replaced with the one you import, then you can delete the MYORG_MSCRM test database which you don't need anymore.

When you've backed up MYORG_MSCRM and restored it, I would have renamed it MYORGtest_MSCRM. Then choose MYORGtest as Org Name and when importing in Deployment Manager.

No reinstall should be needed Smile

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:16 AM
  •  

thanks!

;-) thats good!

well I have Enterprise here! I already have some organizations in my test environment. you are right! I can only disable them, what confuses me!

Is this right then:

1. Disable Organization MYORG in test environment

2. Delete MYORG_MSCRM database in test environment

3. Backup MYORG_MSCRM database in production

4. Restore MYORG_MSCRM database in test

5. Enable MYORG in test environment

is this gonna work?

what about the point "importing an organization"? Is it possible just to enable the organization again in deployment manager although the database has changed?

Martin

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Move your steps 1 and 2 to the end. And select Set Default on the one you import as step 5 (it'll already be enabled after installation). But remember to rename in step 4 as you already have MYORG_MSCRM. Steps edited:

3. Backup MYORG_MSCRM database in production

4. Restore MYORG_MSCRM database in test, and rename, e.g. MYORGtest_MSCRM. Import organization named MYORGtest.

5. Set MYORGtest as Default in test environment

1. Disable Organization MYORG in test environment

2. Delete MYORG_MSCRM database in test environment

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:59 AM
  • thanks dnort!

what if I want to keep MYORG as organization name?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Although this is an old thread it's the best one I found regarding my problem.
    I'm having the same problem as M. Schuler and I followed the solution specified by trondd

I'm trying to import an organization (CRM 4.0 Professional) - and everything works "perfect" according to the guide below:
    1. Backup MYORG_MSCRM database in production
    2. Restore MYORG_MSCRM database in test, and rename, e.g. MYORGtest_MSCRM. Import organization named MYORGtest.
    3. Set MYORGtest as Default in test environment
    4. Disable Organization MYORG in test environment
    5. Delete MYORG_MSCRM database in test environment

After redeployment I'm getting the "Invalid User Authorization. The user authentication passed....".

I'm moving the organization between two separate domains. During the import I manually map users (not all users from the source are being mapped).

In the deployment manager it says "Number of Licensed Users: 0". How can I use my mapped user in the destination domain?

Any help is appreciated!
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:29 AM