10/100/1000 NIC RRS feed

• General discussion

• Does anyone have any success or horror stories to share about gigabit nics and switches, ones to look for or avoid?

Monday, April 7, 2008 1:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I've had no problems with Intel Pro/1000 or Broadcom NetXtreme  (server-grade) NIC's or HP switches, if that's any help.

Colin

Monday, April 7, 2008 4:35 PM
  • Colin,

Thanks, though you must be spending someone else's money.

Monday, April 7, 2008 7:44 PM
  • The most common gigabit issue I have encountered is cables and connectors. Gigabit uses all 8 wires in your Ethernet cables, while 10/100 only uses 4 wires. Things I've seen cause problems:

* Cheap Ethernet cable with only 4 wires (will never run at gigabit).
    * Poorly made or installed 8-wire Ethernet cables and connectors (sometimes run 10/100, sometimes not at all).
    * Long cat 5 cables (gigabit specifies cat 5e or cat 6, but cat 5 usually works for short runs).

Driver/software setup is sometimes a problem.

I've yet to encounter a problem caused by a gigabit nic or switch hardware...

...oh oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that .
    Monday, April 7, 2008 8:10 PM
  • I think low cost switches are going to become a problem though. The vast majority seem to be spec'd at the absolute minimum and I've seen a few, mainly these 'unknown brand' gigabit switches which have problems managing the streaming properly, the port-to-port latency is so big, errors build up, certainly over an extended time.

Up to date, I've always managed to persuade my clients to use procurve's 1800 or 1400 series.

Colin

Monday, April 7, 2008 8:38 PM
  • Thanks I only have one long run, that's cat6 and it's not going to be anything but 10/100 for quite awhile.  The short runs are cat5e or cat6,  all are properly wired with 4 pairs and pairs connected correctly.  I am concerned about switches and NICs mostly.

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:03 PM
  •  

I am using Linksys Eg1032 nics in my WHS and XP machine. I also have a Linksys Gb switch. The switch indicates via led that the XP machine is transmitting at 1000Mbps however the WHS machine port LED indicates 100Mbps.

I have not found an updated or compatible Windows Server 2003 EG1032 driver on the Linksys or Realtek sites.

Much obliged if anyone can assist.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 10:46 PM
  • I've had good luck with these two switches

Netgear G5608

Linksys SD2008

I replaced some older Netgear GS105 after tracing a problem that was dragging the entire network down to bad ports on these. They did work well for about a year but might have gotten nailed by a surge as I have a long cat 5e line that runs around the exterior of the house that connects them together. The GS105s still work but frequently drop back to 100mbit

and get stuck there until I reset their power. So far the new switches are doing fine and have weathered a few thunderstorms already.

Too bad I cannot get the WHS to serve data at gigabit speeds. Every other network share does fine. My WHS box is a Athlon 64bit 3200+ with 1.5g of ram and 7 terabytes of HD

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:26 PM
  • My home network is run off of a D-Link DGS 1216T. That switch is the aggregation point. Then I have switches in a couple of other locations (my office, for example, and my studio, both of which have multiple devices per network drop). Those switches are a mix of Netgear and D-Link unmanaged switches (whatever was cheap, supported jumbo frames and had enough ports at the time). Personally I don't buy Linksys equipment any more; I've had too many problems with it in the past.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:52 AM
  • I was using a Linksys 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter and was getting a bunch of messages in my event log like "TCPIP message 4201 - system detected adapter was connected to the network and has initiated operation". I eventually found that slight pauses in music or movie playback corresponded to these events. I swapped the short cable going to the server and that helped quite a bit (it was my last cable and was dog-chewed in a couple of spots), but it didn't stop the problem entirely. I then swapped in an Intel Pro/1000 GT and have had no problems since. My desktop has a gigabit nic built-in, but I have no other gigabit hardware at this time (except cabling), so am running at 100 Mb/s and can't comment on faster operation.
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:34 PM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

Does anyone have any success or horror stories to share about gigabit nics and switches, ones to look for or avoid?

Well I went the least expensive route I could find.  The hardware has been in place for a little over three weeks now and so far it all just seems to work.  Thanks to all for comments.

1-Netgear  GS605      10/100/1000 Switch

2-Rosewill RC-400-LX 10/100/1000 NICs

Friday, May 2, 2008 4:37 PM
  •  Jeshimon wrote:

Is the switch hot during operation?
    The reason I ask is because I own(ed) two GS108 in the past 18 months and both have failed for bad capacitors, two 6.3V 1000uF, both times. The heat retention of the unit definitely contributed to the failure of the caps.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 5:21 PM
  •  ZerosandOnes wrote:
     Jeshimon wrote:

Is the switch hot during operation?
    The reason I ask is because I own(ed) two GS108 in the past 18 months and both have failed for bad capacitors, two 6.3V 1000uF, both times. The heat retention of the unit definitely contributed to the failure of the caps.

The bottom surface of the case is the warmest.  It is at about 90°F right now.  I put the feet on it when I got, so it is not sitting flat.  6.3V with 5V volts applied seems like poor engineering though.  10V would seem a little safer if longevity is desired. 

I just stuck a type T thermocouple in one of the vent holes at the top of the case and let it sit for awhile, it reads 112°F.  I'll copy a video and see if that changes things.  Still about 112°F (actually 113°F after busily transferring for about 3 minutes).  It does seem to be a little warm on the inside, I'll let you know if I have trouble.

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:01 PM
  • Jeshimon said:

Jeshimon wrote:

Does anyone have any success or horror stories to share about gigabit nics and switches, ones to look for or avoid?

Well I went the least expensive route I could find.  The hardware has been in place for a little over three weeks now and so far it all just seems to work.  Thanks to all for comments.

2-Rosewill RC-400-LX 10/100/1000 NICs

I'm fast approaching a year on this equipment, and all is well; with the exception of drivers occasionally installed by automatic update...

My TiVo gets me.
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:01 AM
  • I'm using DLink stuff myself and it all works pretty good. Had the DIR-655 for about 6 months now and no complaints. Have a couple other unmanaged switches and an AP in the loop as well. No problems. All my PCs are using the built in NIC and I don't buy a MB without it having onboard Gb. Wired the house with Cat5-e and/or Cat6.
    PACS Technical Support Engineer
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:54 AM