Back Up RRS feed

• Question

•  I am trying to back  up my computer to a dvd and I also tried a cd every time I put a disc in a box pops up and says that there is already information on the disc. the discs that I am using are brand new and I have tried about 10 different cd's and dvd's and it keeps saying the same thing it actually wrote some information ontwo discs but it ejected them and said that there was already info on there and I have no idea why it is doing this. I did an express back up last week and it worked fine Somebody told me windows might need to recnfigured tolive mode but I do not know howto do this and I dont understand why it would needto be reconfigured whenI ave not had an isue with backing up before. I am running a dell windows vista 32 bit windows live onecare live.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:41 PM

Answers

• If you are using a CD/DVD burning suite such as Nero or Roxio, make sure that the optional programs for Packet Writing and "media watch" are not installed and active. Packet Writing software can conflict with OneCare backup. This software allows the CD/DVD to be used as a formatted removable drive. The software is called DirectCD (Roxio) and InCD (Nero).
    Another reason for this could be that your blank discs are RW discs, which OneCare backup sometimes has issues with, especially if they have been written to and then erased. The latter is probably not your issue since you mentioned that the blanks are new. If you are using RW discs try using R discs instead.
    If you are unable to resolve this, please contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 12:24 PM