none
Certification Requirement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I am a self taught 17 yr old(yesterday only turned 17 yr old) self taught programmer. I have heard about microsoft certifications but don't know anything about it. I know Dot net framework and want to get a certificate( Only to win a challenge with my friends and to show that I am a MICROSOFT CERTIFIED programmer) as Professional developer. What should I do to get it. I am unable to get informations Clearly provided in the website. Please help me. 

Am i eligible to write the exam ?? Or i should be employed as software engineer to write the exam ??? or.. and the list goes on.Please give me a very detailed procedure on applying for microsoft certification and I have also given my details and educational qualification.

Education :

• Completed twelth standard
    • Going to join my college (ECE)

Employment Status :

• have to wait for four years 

• 17 yr old

Knowledge - language:

• C++
    • c#
    • XAML
    • ASP.NET
    • Javascript
    • XML

Knowledge - frameworks:

• Win32 API(intermediate)
    • MFC (intermediate)
    • DOT.NET - WIN FORMS(intermediate)
    • DOT.NET - WPF (intermediate)
    • SILVERLIGHT(above beginner)
    • Direct X (BEGINNER and working very hard to learn it )

Knowledge - Software:

• Visual studio
    • Expression blend
    • Maya(to create models for use in Direct x)
    • Photoshop(to create textures to be used in direct x)

Please help me what I should do and what do i need to get a microsoft certification.I am very interested!!!

Thanks in advance!!

vignesh

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi Vignesh,

I think a good starting point on the web is http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/visual-studio-all.aspx.

There is no need to be an employed software developer. But you shoul dget experience with all topics that are part of an exam. So before doing any exam you should carefully check the esam page to go through the skills measured. Be sure that you really have in depths experience on each point!

To prepare I would always use the self-paced training kits. They provide good chapters with examples you can play with and even szenarios where you could code on your own. Also important: They contain a CD with some practice tests which are quite nice to check if you are really ready to pass the exam.

The exams targeting Visual Studio 2012 are not out so at the moment I would target Visual Studio 2010. I would start with either 70-515 (Web development) or 70-511 (WPF desktop apps). That will give you a MCTS certification. Maybe for your friends it is already enough to proove that you are a professional developer. If you really need the "Microsoft Certified Professional Developer", you have to continue with some more exams to cover Data Access and WCF and then do a Pro-Exam at the end which covers more "Why you do this or that" then the core technology (How do you?).

In general: When you want to take an exam, you can directly go to prometric.com and register for an exam.

But be aware of the fact that the exams are normaly targeting people with multiple years of experience in the area of the exam. So you should really go and get experience. It is possible of course but you need to spend time on it.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:02 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Vignesh,

I think a good starting point on the web is http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/visual-studio-all.aspx.

There is no need to be an employed software developer. But you shoul dget experience with all topics that are part of an exam. So before doing any exam you should carefully check the esam page to go through the skills measured. Be sure that you really have in depths experience on each point!

To prepare I would always use the self-paced training kits. They provide good chapters with examples you can play with and even szenarios where you could code on your own. Also important: They contain a CD with some practice tests which are quite nice to check if you are really ready to pass the exam.

The exams targeting Visual Studio 2012 are not out so at the moment I would target Visual Studio 2010. I would start with either 70-515 (Web development) or 70-511 (WPF desktop apps). That will give you a MCTS certification. Maybe for your friends it is already enough to proove that you are a professional developer. If you really need the "Microsoft Certified Professional Developer", you have to continue with some more exams to cover Data Access and WCF and then do a Pro-Exam at the end which covers more "Why you do this or that" then the core technology (How do you?).

In general: When you want to take an exam, you can directly go to prometric.com and register for an exam.

But be aware of the fact that the exams are normaly targeting people with multiple years of experience in the area of the exam. So you should really go and get experience. It is possible of course but you need to spend time on it.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:02 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you very much for your help!!! sir. MCTS certification is enough for me.

vignesh

Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:55 AM