Continual Uploading to Internet RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have OneCare, and since I upgraded to SP3 my computer sometimes goes into a mode where it continually uploads to the internet.  Is that normal?
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 11:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• I can't say it is normal or not.

How long has this been happening? How long does it last?

Uploading, downloading, unknown?

How are you determining that it is transferring data?

What is your Internet connection type - dial-up or broadband?

What programs are running when you notice the activity?

You may be downloading an update to the OneCare signature database in the background, which can be quite large on a monthly refresh.

-steve

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 1:07 PM
  • I have also been experiencing similar activity. I downloaded the OneCare 90 day trial a few days ago. I am a domestic user and have an IBM R50 laptop. No other units are being used. I know this is shocking, but I connect to the internet via a Motorola slvr L7 using t-mobile GPRS. It is not broadband and yes, it is slow but serves my needs for the time being. The internet monitor display on my taskbar will begin a sequence of on/off displays that will repeat itself sometimes for hours, even if I turn off IE7 and use no other program. Because of my method of internet connection I am left wondering if this is a normal function of the OneCare continuous service, or if it is the GPRS going on the blink which will occur occasionally. If the latter then I would normally disconnect/reconnect in order to resume a satisfactory GPRS service. I'm sure you can understand that given my circumstances it would be reasuring to know what was going on.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 3:44 PM
  • OneCare will check for updates and provide a "heartbeat" to the servers periodically throughout the day. It starts once it detects and active network connection. If you have a Circle - meaning that there are other PCs on the same LiveID - it will probably send out short spurts of activity looking for information about the others PCs in the Circle every few minutes or so. If there is an update offered, OneCare will start downloading that in the background until is has completely been saved to the local drive and then the update is applied.

-steve

Thursday, June 5, 2008 4:42 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

I can't say it is normal or not.

How long has this been happening? How long does it last?

Uploading, downloading, unknown?

How are you determining that it is transferring data?

What is your Internet connection type - dial-up or broadband?

What programs are running when you notice the activity?

You may be downloading an update to the OneCare signature database in the background, which can be quite large on a monthly refresh.

-steve

It has been happening since I upgraded to SP3.  It lasts until I turn the computer off.

Uploading. 

With SP3, Task Manager Networking tab gives uploading in red, downloading in yellow.  It uploads (red) at the maximum rate.

Qwest DSL

No programs running.

Friday, June 6, 2008 1:01 PM
  • I would suggest contacting support, then.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, June 7, 2008 1:00 AM