WHS Connector Error - date and time differ significantly RRS feed

• Question

• I've searched several forums and have not been able to find an answer, so, here goes...

When trying to install the WHS Connector, I get the message "The date and time on your home computer and home server differ significantly. This interferes with security certificate functionality. Ensure that the date and time are correct on both computers, and then install connector software again".

The only answer I've seen to this is to reinstall Windows Home Server... are there any other solutions?

Thanks...

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:26 AM

Answers

• So, the error message had nothing to do with what was wrong.

As I mentioned, it was a new machine right out of the box. The problem was that the machine thought the WHS connector software had already been run, so, it was in a mode where it was trying to add client computers.You can check out the difference in the two processes in the User Guide. The inital WHS Connector sequence starts on page 18. Once the WHS Connector install is run the first time; the sequence starts on page 31...

so, the server was in a state where it had to be reinstalled to recover... I used the process which reinstalls the server and attempts to save data... after the reinstall; I ran WHS Connector and it worked just as described on page 18...

• Marked as answer by tyroners Friday, April 16, 2010 3:22 AM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Just an addendum... at the time, since the system was new to me I didn't know this mattered but... the four drive lights were purple... after I did the reinstall, just one drive light was blue (I only have one drive)...
    • Marked as answer by tyroners Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:07 PM

All replies

• Check the date and time on the server and the client computer. Make sure both are in the same time zone, and are set to the same time.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:30 PM
  • The problem is: this is a brand new machine, so, I don't have access to the server. It is at a stage where I'm trying to get to the server. The username and password have not been set. So, this is my initial installion of the WHS Connector to allow me to get to the server to set it up...
    • Marked as answer by tyroners Friday, April 16, 2010 3:18 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by tyroners Friday, April 16, 2010 3:19 AM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 2:32 PM
  • So, the error message had nothing to do with what was wrong.

As I mentioned, it was a new machine right out of the box. The problem was that the machine thought the WHS connector software had already been run, so, it was in a mode where it was trying to add client computers.You can check out the difference in the two processes in the User Guide. The inital WHS Connector sequence starts on page 18. Once the WHS Connector install is run the first time; the sequence starts on page 31...

so, the server was in a state where it had to be reinstalled to recover... I used the process which reinstalls the server and attempts to save data... after the reinstall; I ran WHS Connector and it worked just as described on page 18...

• Marked as answer by tyroners Friday, April 16, 2010 3:22 AM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Just an addendum... at the time, since the system was new to me I didn't know this mattered but... the four drive lights were purple... after I did the reinstall, just one drive light was blue (I only have one drive)...
    • Marked as answer by tyroners Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:07 PM
  • That kind of suggests that someone bought it, tried it, and either couldn't get it to work the way they wanted or didn't like it. So they returned it, and whoever you bought it from just resealed the packaging.

<sigh> Retailers...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:54 PM