Problem Installing Printer RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Lasejet 1020 installed on my wife's computer. I can access it from my computer, but cannot set it up in WHS. I have installed the driver in the computer running WHS, but I have tried everyting I can think of, but cannot access the printer. Any suggestions would be appreciated 

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:07 PM

All replies

• Have you used Windows 2003 drivers?

Also, have you followed HP's instructions for installing that printer on Windows 2003?

Andrew

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:24 PM
  • I used the driver(s) that came with the HP, I'm not sure if they are 2003

Jim

Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Then there is a good chance that it is not the 2003 drivers.

Go to the HP website and download the 2003 drivers for your printer, that way you can be sure you have the correct drivers.

Chances are there are also step by step installation instructions as well there.

Andrew

Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Jim, there may have been drivers for Windows Server 2003 included, but you can make sure you have the proper drivers installed if you go here, download and install them. Generally I find it works best to install the drivers before I try to configure a printer.

Where is the printer going to be connected? To your WHS PC? Or to some other PC on your network? If it's not connected to your WHS PC, there's no real need to set it up on your WHS PC; you won't be printing from that computer anyway, and if it's already shared from somewhere else, you should just connect there instead.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:24 PM
  •  Jim Lane wrote:

I have an HP Lasejet 1020 installed on my wife's computer. I can access it from my computer, but cannot set it up in WHS. I have installed the driver in the computer running WHS, but I have tried everyting I can think of, but cannot access the printer. Any suggestions would be appreciated 

This thread will help... helped me tons:  http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2574077&SiteID=50

Friday, January 25, 2008 12:14 PM
  • I did have the printer connected to another computer.\, and could print fine from this computer. I now have installed a USB print server, but still can't print. I can connect to the print server using the IP address, so it looks like I have either a driver problem or a port problem. The instructions with the USB print server say to set it up as a a local TCP/IP port, which I have done  so now i'm going to get the 2003 driver and hope that will do the job...Many thanks for your input.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 11:05 PM