how many copies of WHS OS comes with a TechNet subscription? RRS feed

• Question

• I think with other OS software you get 10 activations. What about WHS?

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:20 AM

Answers

• You get one product key for Windows Home Server with your Technet subscription. You could learn this either by asking the Technet online concierge, or by viewing product keys for the product on Technet, because the maximum number of product keys available is listed when you do so.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:31 AM

All replies

• You get one product key for Windows Home Server with your Technet subscription. You could learn this either by asking the Technet online concierge, or by viewing product keys for the product on Technet, because the maximum number of product keys available is listed when you do so.
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Hmm, I seem to have two.  And they seem to be Retail keys and not OEM.

Product Name Product Keys Type Claimed / Maximum
    Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    < /SPAN>
    Retail 2 / 2

And from the Product Key FAQ, (below) it appears retail keys allow multiple activations.

Product Keys

Q: What are all the different types of Product Keys?

A: Below is a listing of Product Key types, along with descriptions. Some keys are only available to certain customer types.

Key type shown in UI Description
    CUS This custom key requires special actions to activate or install.
    MAK This volume license key (MAK) allows multiple activations.**
    RTL This retail key allows multiple activations.**
    STA This setup key bypasses activation.
    VL1 This is a VA 1.0 key
    OEM This is an Original Equipment Manufacturer key that allows multiple activations.
    AAA This retail key is for AA* programs and allows one activation. These keys are issued in batches.
    AAL This lab use key is for AA programs and allows multiple activations.**
    AAM This is a multiple activation key for AA program customers.
    AV1 This volume license key (VA 1.0) is for AA programs and allows multiple installations.**
    AV2 This volume license key (KMS) is for Academic Alliance programs.

*AA = Academic Alliance
    ** IMPORTANT - If you use products that require activation, many allow you to go 30 days without activating. If you re-image your computers more frequently than every 30 days, you may want to consider NOT activating them in these cases - if you have that option based on the product you are installing.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

<Ken Warren [MVP]> wrote in message news:e1675c67-0ee7-40fe-8b2a-5706de66d3c2@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    You get one product key for Windows Home Server with your Technet subscription. You could learn this either by asking the Technet online concierge, or by viewing product keys for the product on Technet, because the maximum number of product keys available is listed when you do so.

BullDawg
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:47 AM
  • I have an online subscription to both Technet and MSDN and get one product key with each; perhaps you're a partner, or have a slightly different model? I don't activate test installations (Why bother, since I don't use them more than a few days, usually?), and I don't use Technet or MSDN software in production, so I've never used my Technet or MSDN product keys. :)

The correct answer for almost any Technet question is really "Consult with your concierge" anyway; the person on the other side of the chat window can look the specifics up for you pretty quickly.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 12:38 PM
  • "...I don't activate test installations (Why bother, since I don't use them more than a few days, usually?)..."

I'm with you on that one.  I usually break it in a few days, or my test is successful and I move on to the next one with a new install.

The only activated WHS I have is my original that I purchased when the OEM became available for order online shortly after the original beta.

--

BulllDawg
    In God We Trust

I have an online subscription to both Technet and MSDN and get one product key with each; perhaps you're a partner, or have a slightly different model? I don't activate test installations (Why bother, since I don't use them more than a few days, usually?), and I don't use Technet or MSDN software in production, so I've never used my Technet or MSDN product keys. :)

The correct answer for almost any Technet question is really "Consult with your concierge" anyway; the person on the other side of the chat window can look the specifics up for you pretty quickly.

BullDawg
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:03 PM
    The only activated WHS I have is my original that I purchased when the OEM became available for order online shortly after the original beta.

I have three: Two V1 (one is my trusty EX47 series, one is a mini-ITX box I used to use for demos) and one Vail. I only activated Vail because the activation warnings are annoying. They don't interfere with Vail functionality, just irritate (as intended)...
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 1:09 PM