PC Backups RRS feed

• Question

• I just performed a new install of WHS.

I installed the connector on both of my PC's.

PC1 backed up with no problem.

PC2 continually gets a error message

"The backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running."

The computer did not restart, I was sitting in front of it.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the connector and that did nothing, I get the same error message.

My server edition is

Evaluation Copy, Build 3790, SP2

PC1 is running

WINXP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, SP2

PC2 is running

WINXP Media Center Edition, Version 2002, SP2

Any ideas??????

Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:41 AM

Answers

• Here's the info from the Resources screen.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1424.2

Gary

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:18 PM

All replies

• Build 3790 SP2 is not the WHS edition - can you go into the WHS Console, click Setting, Resources and read off the version number from there?

Andrew

Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:46 AM
  • Here's the info from the Resources screen.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1424.2
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1424.2

Gary

Thursday, October 18, 2007 7:18 PM
  • I swear my computers hate me. One of my computers running XP SP2 has just developed the same symptoms as the OP. My girlfriends pc running Vista backups fine. But as of yesterday I came home to the nice little speech bubble on my pc with the same message

the backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running

So I tried a manual backup, and whilst I was sitting there the same message appeared a second later.

Now i'm wondering if this is actually the fault of the WHS machine. If I try to access the shared folder on my XP machine from my g/fs computer it brings up a login box wanting a username and password. Which it never used to do. So i'm thinking my computer is borked in some way.

Any ideas. I feel like my computer is a Hypochondriac and just HAS to suffer everyone elses computer problems!
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 12:23 PM
  • Are your network wired or wireless? If they are wireless, there is the possibility that the  connections are dropping during backup.

also, try turning off windows firewall and any other firewall that is installed...

it may help...

good luck!

Saturday, November 3, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Could be a network problem. If the network drops for any reason and doesn't recover quite quickly, you will have backup problems.

Check to see if your NIC adapter drivers are up to date. Try changing the settings from Auto to Fixed, at 100MB and see what happens.

Colin 

Sunday, November 4, 2007 7:14 PM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem - I try to do a manual backup and within two seconds get a message saying the backup failed because my computer restarted.

I've turned off my firewall, changed NIC settings from auto to fixed at 100mb and checked the I have up to date network drivers - all to no avail.

This is a wired connection on a laptop (Fujitsu T4220), running Vista Business edition.

The info from the resources screen shows the following:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.6

Any ideas for what I might do to get this working. Or what I might do next to  diagnose this problem which others also seem to be having.

Friday, December 7, 2007 10:58 PM
  • Never did find out what the problem was. I can dual boot my pc into Vista and that would backup just fine. So obviously the problem was just within XP. I ended up rolling back to a previous restore point which seemed to do the trick.
    Sunday, December 9, 2007 10:27 PM
  • I never found a resolution to the problem either.  I finally restored my XP Pro PC to a point where I new everything was working.  That helped the back up problem but caused other issues.  I was working on RC software during that issue.

Since then I've purchased the retail version of the software.  I got rid of any trace of the RC software and performed a new install of the retail version and haven't experienced any unruly behavior.

Monday, December 10, 2007 12:33 AM
  • I also have the same problem. I uninstalled the Connector software and reinstalled. Same error. The weird thing it was backing up without a problem before. Now nothing.

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1500.8
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1500.6
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1500.8

Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback, Paddy.

I've made no progess with this problem yet.

For me the problem is with Vista.  Have you any idea what files you might have restored when to went back to taht restore point? It might be a useful clue.

Ta,Rod

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:25 PM
  • FYI... My problem appeared on my Windows Server 2003 box. My Vista PC's are running fine.

Monday, December 17, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Sorry Rod I have no idea what files were restored. I was at my wits end by this point and just clicked the restore point and left it to it. It's and utter mystery what went on with my system.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Rod, what type of NIC do you have in your Client? Some network cards appear to have problems with the WHS system. Also, I would check with the manufacturers own website, (not the motherboard maker, if it's a built-in NIC,) and see if they have a later driver.

Colin

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:18 PM
  • I'm also having the same issue with one of my XP boxes, but not the other one.  I don't know if this is related, but the .Net framework service pack updates aren't completeing on that box either.  The service pack issues and the beginning of the backup failures happened at the same time.  I'm getting an error message about BackupEngine.exe when I try to manually backup the box. 

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:25 PM
  •  

Paddy - I thought it was a bit of a long shot but I guess they may be a bit of clue here that this may be a driver problem.

ColinWH - I followed up on your suggestion of  upgrading the NIC driver. I've got a Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller which did have more recent drivers available.

I have upgraded them but sadly the same problem appears: 'the backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running'.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it was worth a try.

Tim- I find I'm able to do a full hard drive backup to a USB external HD - are you doing this, or are you doing a file based backup?

This is very frustrating because automated backups is a central part of WHS functionality. It's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem - hopefully if we keep raising the issue we can get a resolution. Any thoughts on how to raise the profile of this issue and perhaps someone close to/part of the WHS dev team involved?

Rod.

Saturday, December 22, 2007 7:17 PM
  •  Tim Talbert wrote:

I'm also having the same issue with one of my XP boxes, but not the other one.  I don't know if this is related, but the .Net framework service pack updates aren't completeing on that box either.  The service pack issues and the beginning of the backup failures happened at the same time.  I'm getting an error message about BackupEngine.exe when I try to manually backup the box. 

My .net framework was corrupted.  I removed it manually, reinstalled it, reinstalled the connection piece for WHS and now things work again.  I was able to do a manual backup and an automatic backup.

Monday, December 31, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Rod,

Looking through some of the other posts, it appears that running chkdsk on the client PC can clear some of the disconnection problems.

Tim,

As a matter of interest, how did the .net corruption manifest itself?

Colin

Monday, December 31, 2007 5:48 PM
  • In my case, the .Net issue first showed up when the Service Pack updates wouldn't install.  I tried downloading and manually updating, uninstall/reinstall, nothing worked.  Finally I had to follow some MS instructions that had me delete folders, files, run MSIZAP and other unusual fixes to clear .Net framework. After I reinstalled, .Net framework and WHS connector, everything worked OK.

Monday, December 31, 2007 11:20 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

Rod,

Looking through some of the other posts, it appears that running chkdsk on the client PC can clear some of the disconnection problems.

Tim,

As a matter of interest, how did the .net corruption manifest itself?

Colin

Thanks Colin - I hadn't tried using chkdsk - but have now and the problem remains

Tim Talbert wrote:
    In my case, the .Net issue first showed up when the Service Pack updates wouldn't install.  I tried downloading and manually updating, uninstall/reinstall, nothing worked.  Finally I had to follow some MS instructions that had me delete folders, files, run MSIZAP and other unusual fixes to clear .Net framework. After I reinstalled, .Net framework and WHS connector, everything worked OK.

Tim - I not sure that my problem is the same. However, I don't appear to have received any .net upgrades via windows update, and no record of any failed upgrades either.

Thanks for all your responses -

Not sure where to go from here - but obviously want to keep this thread alive!!

.... anyone else out their experiencing the same problem, or with thoughts on solution?.

Rod
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 6:34 PM
  • Tim, I'm having the exact same problem as you. XP Pro sp/2 and the problems all started with the .net Framework 2.0 sp1 update, which also failed installation. Unfortunately I am unable to uninstall or repair .net 2.0 or uintall .net 1.0/1.1 hotfix. I tried following the recommendations in this MS KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

but as I said that hasn't worked. If you found something different would you mind posting it?? As of now I'm left with doing a PC Restore to the last good backup...which was 7 days ago.....had the server off to replace/upgrade fans...so a little more work for me but not to big a deal...

Mike

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:00 PM
  • The instructions I got out of MSDN for removing .NET framework were specific to a single version of .NET framework.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep the links to the pages.  I originally found them via Google search.

Backups are still running without issues.  In fact, they are running even better because I replaced my "B" wireless router with an "N" gigabit router as well as new NIC for both my wired and wireless connections.  Now I just have to find time to get remote access set up so I can share my pictures with my family via the net.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:02 PM
  • I am having a similar problem with a newly-purchased HP MediaSmart Windows Home Server.

3 of my 4 computers (2 XP SP2, 1 Vista) back up w/o problem, but one XP SP2 does not--it always says, consistent with the reports in this and similar threads, "the backup failed because your computer restarted while backup was running".  (Apologies for British punctuation style, although it seems to be catching on here of late.)

This message about restarting is not right, as the computer does not ever restart in the several dozen times I have attempted to back it up.

I have tried changing security software (MS OneCare to McAfee), I have tried deleting SpyBot and Lavasoft, I have read the online WHS server manual, and I have tried everything else on this and similar strings.  Nothing works so far, and I'm not aware of any anomalies on the "problem" computer.

Does anybody from Microsoft follow these posts?  If so, is there a way to call somebody and have an actual conversation about the situation?

So far I'm thinking this was an almost-$1000 purchase that does not work as advertised or reviewed, and so it would be very nice to find a solution.  Otherwise--since the computer that has the problem has many pictures and videos that were important to me to back up, and that's why I bought the HP MediaSmart Windows home server--I will have to cut my losses in time and money, and send it back.

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:56 AM
  • Wally1314, I feel your pain. Here is what I did to resolve my particular issue(which manifested itself during a .Net Framework 2.0 sp1 update).

I put in the Windows Home Server PC Restore CD and restored my system to the last date a successful restore was taken. This actually worked very well (remember the PC has to be wired to the network for this).

Then I downloaded and installed the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility(Msicuu.exe)

towards the bottom of this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077/en-us

I then ran that program and had it delete the MS .Net Framework 2.0 that was installed on my PC but which couldn't be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs.

I then went into the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 and deleted everything that would allow me to delete...some files and folder just wouldn't delete.

I then downloaded and installed the MS .Net Framework 2.0 Redistrubtion package from here:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

After .Net Framework 2.0 successfully installed I was able to then download and install the .net Framework 2.0 sp1 update.

After that my backups started working again.

Good luck.

Mike

Monday, January 28, 2008 9:36 PM
  • I just hit the same problem a few days ago, but it looks as though I got lucky because I just got round it without too much grief. Here's the story in case it sheds any light. .NET framework 2.0 and 3.0 SP1s started showing as critical updates for the PC in question on MS Update. I went to install them and they failed to install. I left the failed updates "pending" (yellow shield in system tray) for a few days, and it soon enough clicked that the WHS backups were failing with the "computer restarted during backup" message ever since those updates had been pending. I decided I had to make those updates work. After trying not very hard a few times I disabled my AVG Free and Counterspy and tried again to install the .NET updates. They both worked. (was the anti-malware stuff really getting in the way, or did I just get lucky? Another possible factor is that, on the last attempt - the one that succeeded - MS Update applied the 3.0 SP1 first. On the previous occasions I am almost sure that it tried to apply the 2.0 SP1 first). I then tried to force a manual WHS backup and it worked fine.

I couldn't say whether the problem was that these .NET updates had been messed up somehow or whether the problem would have happened if ANY MS update had been pending due to installation failure when the WHS tried to run a backup. I did not eliminate the second of those possibilities. Now that the condition has gone away, it could be hard to reproduce. It may happen by itself again at some point...

Some other observations of things I'm not happy about in this regard, even now the backup is working again:

1. The error message is nuts - the computer very obviously didn't restart during the backup. The fact that the message is so screwy seems to be a clue in itself...

2. The WHS console backup history showed no backup attempts AT ALL for any occasion when the WHS backup failed with that message. (At first I thought that perhaps the WHS scheduler was messed up or that I had accidentally switched off backups for that PC, but neither was the case.) I really, really, need to know from looking at the WHS console whether a backup was attempted and failed, or whether it wasn't attempted. This is kinda fundamental innit. How can WHS initiate a backup and not make a log entry for it?

Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:57 PM
  • Same problem exactly. AVG has nothing to do with it (I tried disabling my installation). It's all from the .net problem.

By far the easiest fix is to run this program: http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip and then reinstall everything (can use windows update).

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:01 AM
  • I have the exact same problem as others have posted.  My one CPU with XP Home was orginally backing up fine with WHS, but after getting the failed .net v2.0 updates, my WHS stopped backing up and gives me the same error message "the backup failed because your compturer restarted while backup was running".  I have tried unsuccessfully thus far to uninstall the .net v2.0 updates, but will try again.  I am convinced the failures with WHS are directly connected to the failed .net 2.0 upgrades.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:13 AM
  • Did you see my Apr 11 post? The link I gave (http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) should help you.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 4:50 AM
  • I followed the posting by "lakero" and it fixed my backup problems with WHS.  Thanks!

Sunday, May 18, 2008 2:14 AM
  • I had the same problem and same fix as suggested by "lakero". Now will it stay fixed after installing updates?

Sunday, May 18, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I too have tried the "lakero fix", but to no avail. The last successful backup was at 0216 on the 26/07. At 2256 on the same day there was an incomplete backup due to the connection being lost between the computer and the server and I have not been able to backup this machine since that date.

The connection is OK at the moment as I can access the Console with no problem. Like I say, I have tried the "lakero fix" (http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) and then let Windows Update re-install the .NET Framework files. Still not working. I have taken the System Restore back to a date well before the 26/07 and done a CHK DISK on all the drives. All computers except the one will backup alright, but the one rogue machine just keeps reverting to "The backup failed because your computer restarted while the backup was running".

Anything else I might be able to try to resolve this situation? I would be grateful for any help.

Friday, August 1, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Try removing any Symantec products on the problem system.  Removing Symantec Endpoint protection solved a problem I was having with the same error message.
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:55 AM