search text in excel file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Visual C++ Windows form application development(.NET framework). I'm trying to develop an application which does the following things

1. Input file is a .txt file.

2. I have a database (an excel file) including some names and their corresponding ages.

3.Compare the first name in the database and search it in text file. How do I do that? could someone suggest the necessary comments and procedure or some sample exercise.

4. Once I find this name in the text file, I need to insert the age into text file on the nextline. and this should continue until all the names in the database are edited.

Till now have made the Forms to browse the file and read the txt file. But how could I compare two text in a txt file and excel file. It would be great if someone shed some light on this topic. 

Thanks and Regards

where I have a database (excel file) and a text file, in which I have to search the names in the database and see whether they are present in the text file.

• Moved by Rob Pan Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:11 AM (From:Visual C++ Language)
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:18 AM

All replies

• Can you save the excel file as a CSV file and use this file instead ? CSV is a text file format. It should be far easier to read than an excel file.
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I suggest you can send your issue to Excel for developer forum for better support.  Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:11 AM