Windows XP Pro OEM WGA Blocked RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

My company is a small VAR and OEM system builder. We are also a Microsoft Certified Partner.

I am extremely unhappy and am reluctantly jumping through the hoops that the Microsoft Response Management Team requested me to do. Your WGA is costing my company a lot of unbillable time to resolve WGA problems when we buy only genuine Windows from an authorized distributor. It is also damaging our reputation with our customers when you display a page telling them to contact us--per the OEM installation agreements, we are listed as the OEM in the oeminfo.ini file, which WGA uses to display this info--and telling them that we did not install a legitimate copy of Windows. We are getting more and more systems that we know to be genuine failing WGA validation. As a small VAR, I cannot afford all the time it takes to resolve these. (The last one took two days of cumulative time spread over a couple weeks, two trips to the customer site, and a lot of phone calls. Finally Microsoft issued the customer a new key and never even apologized for calling us pirates or the amount of time it cost to support your Windows--which we are obligated to do by being the OEM.)

Now on to the latest system that is failing WGA.

The COA is attached to the system (again, per the OEM agreement). Here is the information from the COA:

Windows(r) XP Professional 1-2CPU
      OEM Software
      E85-02178
      *****-*****-B76MX-BJW2C-PC69Q [I'll happily supply the complete key in a private e-mail message or phone call if you need it]
      00045-499-497-625
      [Vertically on the right:] X10-37254

This copy of Windows was purchased from ASI, one of the authorized distributors. (It might be a little difficult to match this copy of Windows to an invoice because we buy quite a few of these, but I can probably find the invoice from when we paid ASI for this OEM copy of Windows if that becomes necessary.)

The system was preinstalled and delivered to our customer with the CD and manual from the OEM pack (per the OEM agreement). Our customer activated it fine about a year and a half ago and has used Windows Update since then without incident until now.

Windows Update says

Windows Genuine Advantage [0x8DD1008]
      To get updates, you must first validate your Windows software ...
      CONTINUE

This copy of Windows is not genuine [0x80080211]
      The product key found on this computer was reported as stolen or lost.

WGA Diagnostic Tool

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked PID
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-B76MX-BJW2C-PC69Q
    Windows Product Key Hash: 5+mmMYV3QSOJ9EaVPv5EZIhW+oE=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2249945-97625
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: JXGSRFD
    ID: b8f6af69-e4b9-4c42-a4b0-1142ba7ea2bc
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    Cache refresh Interval: N/A
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    Signatue Type: N/A

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: vmcserver1:8080
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>b8f6af69-e4b9-4c42-a4b0-1142ba7ea2bc</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-PC69Q</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2249945-97625</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2941816391-2446964195-62153849</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Software Engineering Unlimited</Manufacturer><Model>P4865GHuT</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1013.008</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040908000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>22633EE701846052</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90E00409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Outlook 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>1E62824CA2E7D00</Val><Hash>cb1+zg/NmrK5hd+1rhBnQm1nXZU=</Hash><Pid>73930-640-0000077-55462</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

What is the trick to get this system to pass WGA?

Friday, August 18, 2006 1:26 AM

Answers

• Hi DJ,

I am sorry to hear that your experience with the Microsoft Management Response Team has not been easy.  Feel free to speak to us directly via this forum anytime.  Myself as well as numerous other WGA team members monitor the alias and try to provide rapid responses to our customers in need such as yourself. 

First of all, thank you for providing the diagnostic tool output.  This data is invaluable and without it diagnosing the failures is next to impossible (we can only speculate).  This is what I can tell you about the PC failing WGA Validation.

1) OS Version - Windows XP Professional
    2) Windows Product Key - B76MX-BJW2C-PC69Q (last 15-characters)
    3) This is a System Builder product key.
    4) The Microsoft Office product/suite installed on the PC is genuine.

Validation Failure Reason:
    The reason the PC in question failed validation is that the product key with the last 15-characters (B76MX-BJW2C-PC69Q) that was used to install Windows was reported as lost or stolen by the orignial purchaser.  

You had asked how to get this system to bpass WGA validation?  With a product key that is 'blocked' there is no way to do that.  Not even we (the WGA team) can do that.  The blocking of product keys takes place outside of this group, via the Licensing Compliance team (who works with the customer and legal to ensure the appropriate keys get blocked).  The WGA validation tool calls into a 'key service' if you will to verify the product key.  When the status comes back as blocked, it really is blocked.

I also read your statement about a previous issue where Microsoft just issued a new key to the customer.  This actually should not happen if a customer was failing valiaiton due to a blocked PID.  There is nothing wrong with their product key (and actually having a defective product key is something that would be very, very, very rare).  The customer service agent was more than likely following improper troubleshooting practices, which unfortunately leads to more cusotmer confusion.

Next Steps?
    1) Open a service request:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029
    2) Within that service request include the full 25-character product key.
    3) Put a note to escalte this issue to the WGA PM: Michelle Holtmann
    4) Come back to the forum and reply to my post with the SR# provided to you by Microsoft Product Support.

What I will do is ask PSS to look up your SR and make sure I have the case details.  I will then look up some more details surrounding the product key and let you know what I find out.

As I mentioned before, there is really nothing I can do to 'unblock' this product key, but I can try to find some additional details about the history surrounding this key.  Given that history, I'll be able to provide you with a suggestion as how I think you should proceed (and that may mean contacting ASI telling them you are investigating this with Microsoft).

Please reply back here letting me know how this sounds.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, August 21, 2006 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi DJ,

I am sorry to hear that your experience with the Microsoft Management Response Team has not been easy.  Feel free to speak to us directly via this forum anytime.  Myself as well as numerous other WGA team members monitor the alias and try to provide rapid responses to our customers in need such as yourself. 

First of all, thank you for providing the diagnostic tool output.  This data is invaluable and without it diagnosing the failures is next to impossible (we can only speculate).  This is what I can tell you about the PC failing WGA Validation.

1) OS Version - Windows XP Professional
    2) Windows Product Key - B76MX-BJW2C-PC69Q (last 15-characters)
    3) This is a System Builder product key.
    4) The Microsoft Office product/suite installed on the PC is genuine.

Validation Failure Reason:
    The reason the PC in question failed validation is that the product key with the last 15-characters (B76MX-BJW2C-PC69Q) that was used to install Windows was reported as lost or stolen by the orignial purchaser.  

You had asked how to get this system to bpass WGA validation?  With a product key that is 'blocked' there is no way to do that.  Not even we (the WGA team) can do that.  The blocking of product keys takes place outside of this group, via the Licensing Compliance team (who works with the customer and legal to ensure the appropriate keys get blocked).  The WGA validation tool calls into a 'key service' if you will to verify the product key.  When the status comes back as blocked, it really is blocked.

I also read your statement about a previous issue where Microsoft just issued a new key to the customer.  This actually should not happen if a customer was failing valiaiton due to a blocked PID.  There is nothing wrong with their product key (and actually having a defective product key is something that would be very, very, very rare).  The customer service agent was more than likely following improper troubleshooting practices, which unfortunately leads to more cusotmer confusion.

Next Steps?
    1) Open a service request:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029
    2) Within that service request include the full 25-character product key.
    3) Put a note to escalte this issue to the WGA PM: Michelle Holtmann
    4) Come back to the forum and reply to my post with the SR# provided to you by Microsoft Product Support.

What I will do is ask PSS to look up your SR and make sure I have the case details.  I will then look up some more details surrounding the product key and let you know what I find out.

As I mentioned before, there is really nothing I can do to 'unblock' this product key, but I can try to find some additional details about the history surrounding this key.  Given that history, I'll be able to provide you with a suggestion as how I think you should proceed (and that may mean contacting ASI telling them you are investigating this with Microsoft).

Please reply back here letting me know how this sounds.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Monday, August 21, 2006 8:56 PM
  • Hello Michelle,

I have opened support case SRZ060821002821 as you suggested. In the text I requested to escalation as you suggested, included a reference to this thread, and included the full PID. If you need any other information, please let me know.

You said that the key is blocked because "the original purchaser" reported it lost or stolen. I (as the OEM) am the original purchaser of that copy of Windows XP Pro OEM from the distributor ASI and I did not report it lost or stolen. I manage the system on which it was installed for our customer (that is, nobody at this customer site would have reported it lost or stolen). If the distributor has reported them as lost or stolen, I would certainly hope that they would let their OEMs know and not just tell Microsoft and leave their OEM customers to fend for themselves and spend a *lot* of time dealing with WGA issues.

Since we are seeing several of these, my concern is that a batch of PIDs from ASI has somehow been incorrectly blocked and that even more instances of these systems being blocked from WGA will show up. (My point to the response management team is that the whole process were Microsoft can just block an arbitrary key seems to be flawed in its core. What is there to insure that Microsoft is typing in the key to block correctly? What is there to stop Microsoft from not liking something that our customer does or that I as the OEM does and you just blocking the PID?)

While you are not able to unblock a PID (or block of PIDs) if they have been incorrectly blocked, I hope that you will be able to point me to the right place in Microsoft if that turns out to be the case (and that it does not take several weeks to resolve).

--
    Sincerely
    DJ

Monday, August 21, 2006 10:18 PM
  • DJ:

Please let me know when Michelle has followed through with you.

Thanks!

-phil

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 6:09 AM
  • Thanks Phil.  DJ and I are working the issue offline.  We'll post a resolution when we have one.

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:59 AM
  • Michelle

I have the exact same problem and also am very upset at Microsoft defaming us before our customers! All a VAR has with a customer is their reputation. I have tracked my copies (we have 10) back thru Tech Data. We have invoices as well as tracking that Tech Data did as far as tracing the source of the OEM copies. We need to get this resolved as quickly as possible. It has been draging out for 3 months now.

Monday, August 28, 2006 7:51 PM
  • Hi, we are having the same issue as the other users on this forum. We are also a Microsoft partner and bought our copies of Windows XP PRO - OEM 3 packs from ASI. Tracking it back to this computer, it was bought in 2003. I have followed Michelle's instructions and have gotten case # SRZ060830002229. I am now awaiting a response either on here or on an email of some sort.
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006 6:43 PM
  • Hi Lyle,

I decided to review your service request and saw the interaction between you and Product Support Services.  I have taken the liberty of sending the product key you provided in the SR over to the Product Activation team so I could confirm the reason the key was blocked.  The most common reason is that the key was reported lost or stolen by the original purchaser (99% of the time).  However, in this  instance that is not the case. 

The product key you provided was blocked in November 2005 as a result participation in a Windows Xp x32 to Windows XP x64 exchange program.  The intent of the program was to increase adoption of the x64 bit version of XP.  To participate in the 'exchange' all that the customer needed to do was show proof of purchase of x64 compatible hardware and provide their x32 bit Windows XP product key and they were given a FREE COPY of Windows XP x64.  As part of the exchange, they were told that the x32 bit product key should no longer be used and that it would be blocked.

This was entirely the honor system on the part of the x32 bit key owner.  Blocking the product key would not disable the previous installation.  It would continue working and functioning as it had previously.  However, the intent was the the customer would uninstall the x32 bit version of XP and destroy the COA sticker and move to x64 (which was the entire purpose of the exchange to expand adoption). 

With the advent of WGA, we are able to determine if a customer is using a blocked key. which is something the Windows Product Activation team is not able to do.  They cannot go back and retro 'de-activate' a PC after the key has been blocked. 

How WGA is able to determine this is by the user either visitng Windows Update and going through WGA validation or by downloading our Notifications tool available both on Windows Update an through Automatic Updates.  If we detect that the product key has been blocked (and we determine this by calling into a key verification service owned by the Product Activation team), we will message the user appropriately.

One last thing to note is if the customer decided to reinstall Windows XP x32 and enters the product key provided in the SR, Windows Product Activation would FAIL.  The key will never allow activation to take place and all activations since November 2005 attempted with this key would have failed.  I have asked the product activation team to pull this data for me and I can share it with you if you wish (I hope to get a response from them within 24 hours).

Does any of this ring a bell?  Can you confirm with the customer?  Let me know (just post back here on the forum, we can take it offline if necessary).

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:33 AM
  •  advnettech wrote:

Michelle

I have the exact same problem and also am very upset at Microsoft defaming us before our customers! All a VAR has with a customer is their reputation. I have tracked my copies (we have 10) back thru Tech Data. We have invoices as well as tracking that Tech Data did as far as tracing the source of the OEM copies. We need to get this resolved as quickly as possible. It has been draging out for 3 months now.

AdventTech,

Have you run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool on one of the customer PC's that is having the issue?

1) http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012  - Once the tool loads, press the COPY button and past the output here on the forum. 

Reviewing the output will allow me to determine if you have the same problem as some of the others who have posted.  When you say it's been dragging out for 3 months, who have you been working with from MS to resolve this?

Thanks,
    Michelle

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:38 AM
  • Hi Michelle. I checked with the customer, as well as we are the IT support staff for the customer, and they do not even have or know what Windows XP 64 Bit is. I checked the entire network and they are running all Windows XP 32 bit - all OEM copies supplied on computers we manufactured. I am thinking someone provided an incorrect key to Microsoft for the trade up and this is what has caused this problem.

The computer the key is on is also not even a x64 bit procesor as well.

Where do we go from here?

Lyle

Sunday, September 17, 2006 8:51 AM
  • Michelle or anyone else at Microsoft, I have been waiting for a reply to this issue since September of this year. I have emailed "Shaun with Microsoft PC Safety." as well as spoke to a man named "Dave" in China in September. I have not heard back from anyone at this point, and it has been well over a month now. I now have my client beyond upset at me, thinking I have given him a illigal copy of Windows XP. I have replied to your emails, and told you that the customer had not engaged in any X64 bit trade in, as their machine doesn't even support 64bit and they don't know what 64 bit is. I also feel that it was a typo in the trade in program and this is why it is being blocked. At this point I don't know what to do, but the customer is threating me with pulling his $40K order for new servers and Microsoft SA for his OS, and also legal action.

Could someone help me resolve this? I don't know what else to do.

Thanks!

Lyle Epstein

Kortek Services Inc.

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 4:49 AM
  • Lyle:

Michelle sits across the hall from me. I'll make sure she reads this and gets back to you very shortly.

-phil

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 8:02 PM
  • Hi Lyle,

I apologize that closure on this case was not reached yet.  The last status I had on the issue was that a technnical engineer was working toward resolution with you. 

I'll take a look at the service request case notes and ensure you get a reponse back shortly.  We will use the information contained in the SR to contact you directly. 

Thanks,
    Michelle

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 8:48 PM