One computer fails initial backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Simple question really with a complicated answer I am sure.  I have installed WHS and all but 1 of 3 PCs are ok.  I get a warning saying the backup failed and that I should run Checkdisk.  When I go to the command prompt to run it with the /f /r options, it tells me the volume is in use by another process.  I have tried to shut down anything I can think of and also chose the option to run the checkdisk on the next startup (and have restarted several times), but I always get the same error.

Is there a way to determine what processes are using the volume?  I have a netdrive that I have shut down, but was wondering if AVG antivirus software could be messing this up as well?

Thanks!
    Monday, June 1, 2009 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hello All,

Simple question really with a complicated answer I am sure.  I have installed WHS and all but 1 of 3 PCs are ok.  I get a warning saying the backup failed and that I should run Checkdisk.  When I go to the command prompt to run it with the /f /r options, it tells me the volume is in use by another process.  I have tried to shut down anything I can think of and also chose the option to run the checkdisk on the next startup (and have restarted several times), but I always get the same error.

Is there a way to determine what processes are using the volume?  I have a netdrive that I have shut down, but was wondering if AVG antivirus software could be messing this up as well?

Thanks!

The system (Windows) itself is using the volume. You will need to have it run chkdsk at startup before Windows starts.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:14 PM
  • You can try forcing an immediate dismount of the volume using the following command:

chkdsk /x /r

Note that this may cause system instability, depending on what processes are using the volume reporting it's in use. Also, when using the /x or /r parameters (or both) there is no need to use the /f parameter, as it's implied by either of the others.

However, if you choose to run chkdsk at startup, you can review the results after your computer finishes starting. You'll find the basic chkdsk log loaded into your application eventlog, with the source "winlogon". Taht should give you some indication of what chkdsk has found.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:17 PM
  • I tried the chkdsk /x /r and it says it "cannot lock current drive" and says that I can choose to run it again at startup.

Going to try to do it before windows starts up next.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 3:21 PM
  • I have tried to restart with the option of running checkdisk on the next startup.  What is odd is that I can't see where it is checking since there is nothing showing up reporting anything different.  It looks just like a regular boot to Vista.

Can I boot to a command prompt before Vista loads and then try the chkdsk command in DOS?

Monday, June 1, 2009 3:37 PM
  • Hi,
    you can always boot from the Vista DVD. In the system repair options you find also a command prompt, which allows you to execute the chkdsk command "offline".
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:55 AM
  • Danke Olaf!

I should have thought of that myself...doh!  It seems to be running now, but I had to use the /x /r options. 

It reported back that it "Cannot lock the current drive".  Then it said that Volume dismounted and that "All opened handles to this volume are now invalid".

Not sure if that is a good or bad thing, but we'll see.

Hopefully it fixes the issue so that WHS can finally backup the dirve.

I will keep you posted of my trials.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:09 PM
  • You know, that you need to enter the drive letter as a parameter for chkdsk?
    I.e. chkdks d: /r
    and so on for each of the disks you want to check.
    Each physical disk will (or at least should) show up with a drive letter, the system drive with two (starting with C:).
    Olaf
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Well, after sucessfuly doing a checkdisk on the c drive it seems that I still have the same issue with WHS on this particular machine.

Basically shows that:

"The most recent backup for AMD was not successful.  Click View Bakcups and the click Details to detemine why the backup was not successful.  Use Backup Now to try and back up again."

When I check the details it just tells me that there was an error reading and writing from the computer's hard drive.

Unfortunately, it's an older machine and has a lot of important files and such that I keep on it.  I back it up manually but it seems I'll have to figure out another way without formatting it...there is just way too much work to reload all of it.

What if I boot up in safe mode?

Thanks for all your input.

Eugene
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Hi Eugene,
    Safe mode will not bring up a connection to WHS.
    Check the event viewer of the client in question for errors and warnings.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:09 PM
  • Well, a very strange thing happened this morning...I started up all my machines and I must have had a scheduled checkdisk that started like I would have expected, but I didn't let it finish because I ran it yesterday.  I decided to give it another try when I logged into windows and sure enough...it backed up with no issues.

The other thing I noticed is that my pc didn't connect up to the internet, but just the local are network. 

going to reboot and see how it goes, but at least I have one backup so that's a good sign.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:13 PM