My computer shows twice in One Care Circle RRS feed

• Question

• I had a hard drive crash, reformatted and reinstalled XP Home. During reinstalation of my One Care, instalation hung up.

I had to shut down the computer. On restarting, no One Care came up, So I reinstalled again. Acitvated OK

BUT now I have my computer listed twice in One Care Circle. One is activated and in good status.

The other is status unknown, There is a 'remove this PC' option, when I do that, it says 'the action could not be performed'

and says 'an error prevented one care from performing this action.

I have tried this several times but no luck getting rid of it.  Is it because the computer name is the same as the active one?

Thanks for any suggestions

Thursday, March 6, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

•  sandbar1936 wrote:

I had a hard drive crash, reformatted and reinstalled XP Home. During reinstalation of my One Care, instalation hung up.

I had to shut down the computer. On restarting, no One Care came up, So I reinstalled again. Acitvated OK

BUT now I have my computer listed twice in One Care Circle. One is activated and in good status.

The other is status unknown, There is a 'remove this PC' option, when I do that, it says 'the action could not be performed'

I have tried this several times but no luck getting rid of it.  Is it because the computer name is the same as the active one?

I believe that the action requires a connection to the OneCare server to complete. I don't know why it is failing for you, but I recommend contacting support if the problem persists - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:40 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem except the status is good for the computer both times. Only the details are different. I think I can delete eithe one but I do not know what might happen mif I delete either one.

Friday, March 7, 2008 12:44 AM
  •  Louisf wrote:
    I have the same problem except the status is good for the computer both times. Only the details are different. I think I can delete eithe one but I do not know what might happen mif I delete either one.

Check the date and time listed for each entry. The one that has not updated recently would be the inactive PC to remove.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:39 AM
  •  sandbar1936 wrote:

I had a hard drive crash, reformatted and reinstalled XP Home. During reinstalation of my One Care, instalation hung up.

I believe that the action requires a connection to the OneCare server to complete. I don't know why it is failing for you, but I recommend contacting support if the problem persists - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 1:40 AM