XP Help RRS feed

• Question

•      Hello all, I am a full time student so I desperately need my computer and I have no money to fix whatever is wrong. I hope someone outh there can help me.

I took a nap today after a long homework session (On the computer). My sytem seemed to be running extra slow so I decided to check for any defragmentation and then did a cleanup on my XP control panel. After about an hour nap I woke up to continue my school work and I had no desktop icons and no start button or blue task bar at the bottom of the screen. What the ***!!!??  I have run a couple different virus removers and malware rmovers to no avail. I went inot the task manager (only way to access anything) and checked the processes and the iexplorer.exe keeps showing up and then leaving same thing my icons are doing. I have tried to do a sytem restore and none of the buttons work to change the date from today (January 13th, 2009) I called Geek Squad and they want 200 dollars to fix (Maybe they can). Many websites have had people have this problem and I have tried all of the solutions and nothing has worked. XP was on the computer when I bought it so I have no repair disc nor do I have a XP disc.  Please help me.  I can be contacted at e-mail tazdevilish888@yahoo.com or call my cell 763-742-3137. Thank You.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:52 PM forum consolidation (From:General Discussion)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Tazdevilish888

In my humble opinion (sounds an infection) try to avoid restoration.

Does the following: Ctrl + Alt + Del -> Task Manager -> File -> New Task (Run) -> and type,  explorer.exe

See if the icons appear (note: that after reboot the icons may not appear, if so, you have a virus...

What is your antivirus? ..

Best Regards

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:54 PM