can't boot/install with "installation dvd" RRS feed

• Question

• Went to Office Max, bought new computer (hp pavilion pc- p6320f; amd phenom II X4 820, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD; it came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS). Bought this to install Vail now and to use it when WHS 2.0 ultimately released.

Downloaded most recent version of Vail from Windows Connect. Burned the "installation DVD" to a dvd (Lightscribe DVD + R). Looked at the release notes on how to install Vail. Put the DVD in the DVD drive, restarted the computer and waited for it to boot with that. Didn't happen. Went to the BIOS, made sure that 1st drive seen is DVD drive.

Downloaded 7-zip thinking that I will open it with that software, but couldn't do it that way (am not sure if that is a bad idea).

Suggestions please.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:51 AM

Answers

• Did you burn it to DVD using a tool which is capable of burning a .iso image as a bootable disk, or did you just copy the file to the DVD? And did you verify checksums?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:33 PM

All replies

• Did you burn it to DVD using a tool which is capable of burning a .iso image as a bootable disk, or did you just copy the file to the DVD? And did you verify checksums?
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:33 PM
  • problem solved. yes, I did not burn it with the right tools. I just did a copy to a dvd. Used Roxio Creator and was able to do it right. Now I am going through the installation process.

Thanks for your help. As you may surmise, I probably will be asking other questions down the road.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:42 PM
  • I have downloaded the installation iso file.  Can you explain the steps on creating a bootable DVD?  I have Roxio MC 10 using windows 7.

Thanks

Friday, August 27, 2010 1:30 PM
  • It will be in the documentation for your burning software.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 2:45 PM
  • With Windows 7, right click on the iso and choose burn to disc.  No need for Roxio to burn a dvd iso in win7.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:44 PM