none
Why can't I find the rich text editor when creating or editing my posts? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have been unable to see the rich text editor anymore. I last used it about 3 weeks ago (had trouble seeing it then), but now I can't see it at all (even now when creating this post). I have tried IE6, IE7, FireFox, adding this to my Trusted Sites, waiting fully for things to load, but still no joy. Is there a magic button or secret procedure that I didn't get told about, or has something changed? Without it, copying and pasting code into the forums makes it extremely hard to read, which doesn't help me if I am trying to get someone to help me with an issue. Thanks, Michael.
    • Edited by General Spooty Monday, June 29, 2009 11:37 AM looking for the editing toolbar again
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:10 AM

Answers

• I can't turn off black ice anymore, but was able to add a rule that ignored the error for this IP address. I've just removed the rule, and the site still works properly, so maybe a recent update to this site has corrected the issue.

• Marked as answer by General Spooty Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:27 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:27 AM

All replies

• Hard to see what you might be talking about.  Obviously you've found the editor.  I'd guess you're looking for the tool you'd use to insert code in a post.  Use the glyph on the toolbar that looks like </>. 
    Hans Passant.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 9:08 AM
  • Ok, it's back now after a lot of messing around. I can't prove it yet, but it looked like it was Black Ice complaining about HTTP_IE_Script_HRAlign_Overflow on the site and blocking the script that allowed the nice rich text toolbar to appear just above my text entry box that I'm typing into at this very moment. I now have bold and italics and...

paragraph control.

I did NOT have these features 30 mins ago.

I will try to investigate further.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Ok, getting closer to the source of the problem - I think my suspicions were right. Once I had been able to see the rich text editor when editing my posts in IE7, I was also able to see it in FireFox when editing my posts. I cleared the IE and FireFox cache, but was still able to see the rich text editor, and Black Ice was no longer complaining about the "Intruder"........However, after a reboot, I am yet again unable to see the rich text editor toolbar here when editing my posts. When I click Reply to the most recent post, the current window relaunches to show NO thread history, only a blank textbox (plus the typical page layout of the forums. I can, however, see a single "Has Code" checkbox just above the "Submit" button in the bottom left corner of my screen. This behaviour and functionality is DIFFERENT to the behaviour and functionality obtained when the rich text editor toolbar appears. Each time that I attempt to refresh the thread now that I've signed in, the count of the "HTTP_IE_Script_HRAlign_Overflow" in Black Ice goes up by 1, and the majority of the screen updates fine, but the progress bar waits for AGES at about 100% with "Waiting for http://" with this URL at the end. Black Ice indicates that info about the HTTP_IE_Script_HRAlign_Overflow can be found at: http://www.iss.net/security_center/reference/2110056.html I will now try to stop Black Ice and see if it changes anything for me.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Yeah, stop using it.  Good idea.

Hans Passant.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:01 PM
  • That's it. Stopping Black Ice (blackice.exe, blackd.exe, RealSecure Desktop Protector Version 7.0.eod) then immediately trying again on this site now gives entirely normal behaviour, and when I pressed Reply this time I can now see the rich text editor toolbar. I'm not sure whether this behaviour will remain for a few minutes in this window, or be different for a new window, or remain until next time I reboot my PC.
    Looks like I've solved my own problem for now, but the real question now is...does this site suffer from poor coding that is causing an overflow, or is Black Ice detecting a false positive?

Thanks, Michael :)
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:03 PM
  • I can't turn off black ice anymore, but was able to add a rule that ignored the error for this IP address. I've just removed the rule, and the site still works properly, so maybe a recent update to this site has corrected the issue.

• Marked as answer by General Spooty Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:27 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:27 AM