CRM 2011 OUtlook issue "There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. You cannot sort by this column" RRS feed

• Question

• We are getting “There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders. Some reminders may not appear. You cannot sort by this column”.  Wanted to see if anyone else is running in to the issue. Details and our attemts below:

When your outlooks start.  The error happens only at a startup of outlook and does not happen again until you restart your outlook.  Uninstalling MC Dynamics CRM 2011 Add-in for Outlook stops the error.

The users are using Office 2007,  IE 8 version 8.0.6001.18701 (Cipher Strength 128-bit) update version 0; CRM 2011 On-Premise; IFD

You have started to see this issue 9.14.2011 There are 3 users who has the issue and all of them have 2 Windows Security updates for XP installed on 9.14.2011 (KB2616676) & KB(2570947)

We tried to uninstall the security updates, but that still did not fix the issue.  Restarted computer and Started outlook and geting the error again.

Next

a.       we will try to install the KBs to a user who does not have an error now to see if that will start the issue for them.  - UPDATE: issue started after the updates installed; also, more users reporting the issue

b.      we will try to remove CRM 2011 outlook client (via configuration wizard) and add it again - UPDATE: Got error message.

c.       will also try to completely remove CRM 2011 outlook client install and reinstall. Removal instructions below.

1.            Clear Your IE cache.

2.            Clear your temp files

3.            Delete MSCRM folder from C:\Users\Your username\AppData\local\microsoft\MSCRM

4.            Perform similar step for C:\Users\Your username\AppData\local\microsoft\MSCRM and delete MSCRM folder if it exist.

5.            Goto Run, type in regedit.

6.            Click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER>>Software>>Microsoft>>MSCRM. Delete all MSRM folder.

7.            Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>Software>>Microsoft>>MSCRM. Delete all MSRM folder.

8.            Click on HKEY_USER>>Software>>Microsoft>>MSCRM. Delete all MSRM folder.

9.            Install windows live assistant 6.5 with following link:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5e193cfe-f45a-4e29-b6b7-984e7802c639

10.          Repair windows live essential 2011 by going to control panel >>Add remove program>> Windows live essential>>repair OR install by link: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials?os=other

11.          Goto Run type “control keymgr.dll”. Go to generic credential, click on drop down and click remove vault. Perform for all generic credentials.

12.          Repair .net framework.

13.          Now uninstall add-in CRM for outlook and install by the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=22dc423a-7194-491e-a169-6ace16bfdd36&displaylang=en

14.          (Note: Don’t install from any other link or else it will download CRM 4.0 add-ins also note that your time zone, time and date should be accurate )

• Edited by Rokas_V Friday, September 16, 2011 2:34 PM adding step update
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:12 PM

Answers

• CAUSE POTENTIALLY FOUND:

We have the same issue with Win XP SP3, Outlook 2007 SP2. and CRM Online 2011 with the CRM Outlook client installed with Rollup 3.  The Outlook reminders are now very broken and on startup Outlook says:

"There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders.  Some reminders may not appear.  You cannot sort by this column”

On our setup, we have traced the problem to a Windows Update that was released last week called "Update for Office Outlook 2007" KB2583910

Unfortunately, when you try to remove the offending update from Add/Remove programs, the update will not be uninstalled and we currently don't know of a solution.

I have a case open with Microsoft Support and will update this thread once I know more.

Regards

Scott Jackson

London, UK

I received a reply back from Microsoft Support which solved the issue via the installing of a hotfix. 

Steps to fix:

1. Click this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2553028

2. Cick the "View and request hotfix downloads" and follow the instructions on the screen to download the file which is called: "436959_intl_i386_zip.exe", when you extract the file, you will get a file called "office-kb2553028-fullfile-x86-glb.exe".

3. Install that file and then the next time you open Outlook your reminders will be working again.

On our setup we could not remove KB2583910 as it wouldn't uninstall, but the hot fix above did the trick.

Cheers

Scott

--- Scott Jackson, London UK
    • Proposed as answer by Scott Jackson-UK Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, September 26, 2011 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Removing KB2583910, and then opening outlook with the /cleanreminders switch seems to have solved our problem-

• Proposed as answer by edogwv Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:12 PM

All replies

• I am getting the exact same issue on one of my workstations.  The issue appeared immediately after windows update ran, and i checked windows updates and have the same 2 Security Updates installed.  I have tried an uninstall/reinstall of CRM to no avail.  I found 5 updates installed the day the error started (09-14-2011) and removed them.  Unfortunately it did not restore functionality.  I deleted the data file for CRM and disabled the add-in, then restarted Outlook and the error is no longer present.  This particular user uses the IE portal for CRM, however, other users use the Outlook client.  So far only the one user has had this error.  I suspect it has something to do with the updates, but uninstalling the updates doesn't fix the issue.  Any one with any ideas?

Machine in question: Windows XP SP3, Office 2007

Thanks,

Alan

Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:09 PM
  • I am getting the exact same issue on one of my workstations.  The issue appeared immediately after windows update ran, and i checked windows updates and have the same 2 Security Updates installed.  I have tried an uninstall/reinstall of CRM to no avail.  I found 5 updates installed the day the error started (09-14-2011) and removed them.  Unfortunately it did not restore functionality.  I deleted the data file for CRM and disabled the add-in, then restarted Outlook and the error is no longer present.  This particular user uses the IE portal for CRM, however, other users use the Outlook client.  So far only the one user has had this error.  I suspect it has something to do with the updates, but uninstalling the updates doesn't fix the issue.  Any one with any ideas?

Machine in question: Windows XP SP3, Office 2007

Thanks,

Alan

Also having the same problem with machines and crm 2011 and outlook 2007 - after updates last night, Tried removing the updates but still not working?

Please advise?

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:19 PM
  •  UPDATE: issue started after the updates installed; also, more users reporting the issue

Question: did anyone else tried to manually remove the outlook add-in per my instructions above?

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:35 PM
  • Same problem here on a Windows 7 x64 and Outlook 2007. CRM 2011 UR3 with two unofficial hotfixes installed (KB2575457 and KB2575474). Also started after installing Windows Update.

CRM server is still running on UR2.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Same problem here as well. Windows XP x64 w/SP2 and Outlook 2007. CRM 2011 UR3 on both client and server. Removed client till this is resolved. Really annoying.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Same problem here too. CRM 2011, Windows XP and Windows 7 Office 2003 and 2007, all with the same pop up error on load.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:25 PM
  • same issue here - uninstall, reinstall, 2 seperate computers windows xp outlook 2007.  Other computers with same configuration are not experiencing the problem.  Put in a support request.. no word yet.  Problem does not occur without outlook crm installed. 
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hi Rokas,

Is this issue happening for CRM Online or CRM On-Premise...As peryour description for installing and repairing windows liveessentials seems that it is for CRM Online...?

Arpita
    Monday, September 19, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Arpita, it is CRM On-Premise. The client it the same, so I we just did the full fix of all the associated components just to be safe.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:25 PM
  • CRM 2011 installed on Windows 7 with Office 2007, and same problem here.  If I remove the site via Configuration Wizard the problem goes away.  Once I add it back, problems continue.  Has anyone been successful??

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Outlook 2007 with dynamics CRM 2011 on two separate windows xp boxes same problem since Friday - my problem is confined to one user out of 6.  Reminders stop working as soon as the outlook crm is added.. reminders work again once I remove crm for outlook.  The amount of grief I am receiving over this is awful.  I worked with microsoft support for a few hours Friday and they were supposed to call me back at 11am today - it is 2pm now and still no call.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Same issue here :Outlook 2007 + Windows 7 Pro 32 bit -      Dynamics CRM 2011   

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Add me to the list please

Outlook 2007 + XP 32 bit.  Don't think Dynamics CRM 2011 is installed.

I have 2 users with this problem.  One with Outlook 2007 and the other with Outlook 2010

Happened after last round of updates from Patch Tuesday 9/13/2011 (installed on Thursday, I believe).

Help!?

Dane!
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:16 PM
  • Same issue here. Multiple users with Windows 7 or XP,  Outlook 2007, CRM 2011 UR2.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:27 PM
  • For what it's worth, we have two users (including me) with the problem and probably more.  I do have a ticket in with CRM customer support.   They initially suggested running "outlook /cleanreminders" from your start/run, which didn't work.  Then they suggested creating a new Outlook profile using the old PST file as the default.   That didn't work, either.

I would hope that Microsoft is aware of this systemic problem and are coming up with a solution--perhaps a revised Windows update that corrects the problem!

As others have said, "what a pain!"

Paul

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:34 PM
  • These hot fixes are for Outlook 2010 not Outlook 2007.  Are my clients experiencing a different issue since all but one is on Outlook 2007? 

Should I start my own post?

The one person on Outlook 2010 with this issue applied the Outlook hotfix and tricks but the problem persits.  Are we suppose to install all the hotfixes or just the Outlook one's?  

Dane!
    • Edited by DaneDaneDane Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:08 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:06 AM
  • Hello,

same issue, 4 clients, outlook 2007+2xppsp3+win7sp1+vistasp2, should i open case?

greetz dao
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:29 AM

We have the same issue with Win XP SP3, Outlook 2007 SP2. and CRM Online 2011 with the CRM Outlook client installed with Rollup 3.  The Outlook reminders are now very broken and on startup Outlook says:

"There was a problem reading one or more of your reminders.  Some reminders may not appear.  You cannot sort by this column”

On our setup, we have traced the problem to a Windows Update that was released last week called "Update for Office Outlook 2007" KB2583910

Unfortunately, when you try to remove the offending update from Add/Remove programs, the update will not be uninstalled and we currently don't know of a solution.

I have a case open with Microsoft Support and will update this thread once I know more.

Regards

Scott Jackson

London, UK

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Removing KB2583910, and then opening outlook with the /cleanreminders switch seems to have solved our problem-

• Proposed as answer by edogwv Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:12 PM

Regards

Scott Jackson

London, UK

I received a reply back from Microsoft Support which solved the issue via the installing of a hotfix. 

Steps to fix:

1. Click this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2553028

2. Cick the "View and request hotfix downloads" and follow the instructions on the screen to download the file which is called: "436959_intl_i386_zip.exe", when you extract the file, you will get a file called "office-kb2553028-fullfile-x86-glb.exe".

3. Install that file and then the next time you open Outlook your reminders will be working again.

On our setup we could not remove KB2583910 as it wouldn't uninstall, but the hot fix above did the trick.

Cheers

Scott

• Proposed as answer by Scott Jackson-UK Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:02 PM
  • I can confirm that both solutions work. You can either uninstall the patch and hide it from Windows Update or run the hotfix.

Thank you both for your help.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Hotfix worked like a charm!!!!  Thank you so much for posting it for us!!
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:04 PM
  • Confirmed: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2553028 provides the solution!

Cheers

Sebastian

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:59 AM
  • The hotfix solved the problem for us, also. Outlook 2007 and CRM 2011 On-line.

Gary Letter

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:07 PM
  • solved, great thanks!
    greetz dao
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Hotfix resolve it for me.

Thank you!

Manager, CRM Architect National Dynamics CRM Practice at Hitachi Consulting 2011 Microsoft Dynamics CRM Worldwide Partner of the Year!
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:04 AM
  • Does this hot fix work on outlook 2010 too?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 4:27 AM
  • @S.Raymond :See the KB article at: 2586274
    Friday, September 23, 2011 7:53 AM
  • This happened to me as well.  My co-worker was 15 minutes late for a meeting and was not a happy bunny.

I wrote the following blog article as I hope it never happens to anyone else

http://tnycrm.blogspot.com/2011/09/dynamics-crm-2011-outlook-reminders-and.html

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:59 AM
  • Same problem fix with the hotfix
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Scott,

I install the hotfix and the problem with the reminders is solver, but the outlook is now takes much longer to start. Is normal ???

I hope you can help me.

Regards,

Javier Ramos

-- Javier Ramos
    Monday, October 3, 2011 12:44 AM
  • Javier, I thought I also noticed a slow down after installing the hotfix.  I think the onyl thiing we can hope for is that the performance is improved in Rollup 5 which is being launched early in the cycle on 25th October, according the the blog entry at:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crminthefield/archive/2011/08/22/microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0-and-2011-update-rollup-release-dates-build-numbers-and-collateral.aspx 

From listening to the podcast about Rollup 4, it included a very large number of Outlook fixes, so I imagine that RU5 will also include a lot of Outlook fixes and improvements.

Regards

Scott

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:44 AM
  • same here on Win7 64bit OL 2007 SP2, CRM 5 RU 3, the hotfix solved it. Thanks Scott
    Monday, October 3, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Hotfix worked for me...thanks alot for posting this.  WinXPSP3/Outlook2007SP2/CRM2011RU3.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Thanks Scott.

Now, the users report to me that the outlook reminders appear every 5 minutes. Do you know other similar cases ???

I Hope your comments. Thanks.

Regards.

-- Javier Ramos
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Removing KB2583910 is not a viable option.  In a corporate environment where Office updates are handled by group policy, removing this update will result in it being re-downloaded the next day when automatic updates is set to look for an update.  And often times you can't turn off automatic updates in a corporate environment.

This hotfix is a more perminant fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2553028

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 5:14 PM
  • I see this conversation has been goign for a while... this issue has recently happened with my system as well! So, hopefully I can work my way through the suggested fixes.
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:52 PM